10 | pearl's seeing stars

TEN | PEARL'S SEEING STARS.
( the warriors of kyoshi, part two )

this is how it is now,
getting lost in

the boom, boom, boomcan't take my eyes off you

can't take my eyes off you.

THE NEXT HOUR or so was spent between Crystal and her fan, learning how to use and maneuver it to her advantage. She found herself growing fond of it. It was an item easily used for mundane reasons, but with the right flick it could grow sharp and sturdy. The lightness of the fan took some getting used to compared to her usual clubs. She flung hers too aggressively a couple times and she could tell it was very hard for the girls to keep their laughs in. She didn't mind.

Suki took them through a plethora of exercises—some that made Crystal feel dynamic, and others that made her legs want to rip away from her body. With each one there was a giggly feeling rising in her, something light and inspiring and almost hopeful. It was strange to feel her cheeks stinging from a constant smile instead of blankness. She wondered if she'd ever felt this way before. She wondered if she'd ever felt this strong.

Unfortunately, the training didn't push away all her squirming about Sokka. As the minutes ticked on she kept wondering if he was okay. If she should step out for a moment to go look for him. Then the thoughts were fanned away in whirls of jade as Suki laughed while trying to teach Crystal proper kicks. He's fine, she told herself. He probably just wants me to feel sorry for him anyways.

Her internal nagging didn't seem to keep him away, though, because soon she swore she saw him pacing nervously outside the dojo, muttering things to himself. She stopped in her tracks. Before she could do anything, she saw him take a breath and head inside.

"Uh . . . hey, Suki," he swallowed awkwardly, catching the attrition of the rest of the warriors. He was aptly avoiding Crystal's stare.

What was he doing back? Was he here to show off again? Try to reclaim is pride? Would he yell at her?

"Hoping for another dance lesson?" Suki snarked, the same devious look spreading on her face.

Sokka looked flustered—ashamed, even. "No, I—well, let me explain," he stammered.

Suki glared at him. "Spit it out! What do you want?"

Crystal watched intently as Sokka froze for a moment. His big blue eyes were wide, tense, and he glanced at her. She said nothing. Something in his face shifted.