09 | girls in gold and green

NINE | GIRLS IN GOLD AND GREEN.
( the warriors of kyoshi, part one )

don't you think that it's boring how people talk?

making smart with their words again, well, i'm bored

"I'M MEDITATING, KASUMI."

"Does meditating require a box of expired sweets?"

A dozen candles lay on a table on the far wall of the room. They all had identical, flickering flames, providing light that was sometimes sparse, and sometimes plentiful. It depended on the grumpy, scowling Prince controlling them.

Kasumi watched with mischief as Zuko turned from his seat to face her. He had tried his best to ignore her as he absorbed on the altar before him, focusing on the old meditative firebending practice he's recently taken up. Too bad she always knew how to garner his attention.

"Run out of biscuits, I see," Kasumi noticed, nodding to the box of Fire Nation wafers in his hands. "How stale are those, by the way?"

"Leave me alone," He grunted. The flames spiked, shadowing his long face. "The only reason you should be in here is if you have news of the Avatar. But that's something I wouldn't expect you to have in store."

Kasumi snorted. "Not entirely correct, your highness."

Zuko let out another growl. His flames flicked up again. He had spent quite a bit of time in here recently, since their newest . . . arrival on the ship. "Well? What is it then?" He asked impatiently.

"You'll find out once you actually give me what I came for. I didn't come in here just to entertain you, Zuko. I wanted to talk to you."

The candles evened out at this, red tips dissolving yellow, then shot up and down again. Her voice was composed. Serious, even. The thought of it flustering him made her snicker.

"You're giving Pearl a rather cold welcome," she said finally, taking a spot at the cherry-wood table that was furthest from Zuko. She could barely see herself with the dim fire that didn't reach the corners of the room.

The flames licked up for a moment. "I am not," he said gruffly.

"Yes, you are! You've barely talked to her! Poor girl cried herself to sleep yesterday and you didn't even say goodnight!" She huffed when he didn't react to her. The candles were stagnant. "Although I'm sure any talks with you wouldn't make anyone feel any better."