CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

ONE MONTH LATER

It's silent. It's finally silent. After what felt like hours of listening to the noises coming from Richie's and his girlfriend's bedroom they finally stopped. I'm disgusted and exhausted. And in pain. Their couch is rock hard. I'm aware of every vertebra in my spine. The room also failed to become fully dark. An aggressive street light right outside the window kept my eyes from comfortably shutting. I stare at the ceiling. It's spinning. Still? I thought I'd be sober by now. The coffee table is filled with empty liquor bottles, shot glasses and cigarette buts. Even though I've been tortured for hours I can't help but appreciate how convenient it is that Richie is dating someone who can buy. It was a long time since I was this drunk. I thought I missed it but now all I want is for the room to stop spinning. And my cast to stop itching.

A door creaks open. I shut my eyes and pretend to be asleep. I'm lucky I'm such a great actress. I hear steps cross the floor. Why are they coming towards me?

"Sherry wake up!" It's Richie. He's shaking my foot. I groan and look at him. Why is the street light so fucking aggressive?

"Your brother is on the phone."

What? I didn't hear a phone ring. And Steve should be asleep. I look out the window at the fucking street light that is really testing my patience. It's not a street light, it's the sun. I'm fucking confused. Was I asleep?

"Yeah you passed out last night." Richie says. I didn't realise I said that out loud. What else am I saying? And does that mean I dreamt everything? No way I'm going to ask.

"Tell Steve to piss off." I fall back on the couch and whack myself in the head with my cast. I hate this shit.

"He says the chief of police is at your house and he needs you for an emergency."

*****

"What's going on?" I shout into the house as I barge in through the door.

Steve meets me in the hallway. Hands up in surrender.

"Please don't kill me."

My eyes widen at him.

"Steve, what have you done?"

He doesn't answer, just continues up the stairs. Hopper emerges from the kitchen, El in tow.

"I'm sorry for bringing you into this kid."

I take a deep breath and brace myself.

"Just tell me what it is."

Hopper's jaw clenches.

"It's the snow ball." He forces through gritted teeth.

I blink at him.

"The what?"

"The snow ball," he repeats.

"The middle school dance?"

He nods. I walk up to him and hit him.

"Ow!"

"I thought they were coming to get me or someone was dying, you idiot!" I bark.

"I might die." Hopper mumbles grumpily.

"What do you need me for?"

"El wants to go to the snow ball but we only have sweaters and overalls at home." He explains. El takes a step forward from behind him and I meet her eyes. She looks at me hopefully. I gasp. A makeover. It's the big sister moment I've been waiting for.

"This is the day I peak." I say with a smile and take El's hand to bring her upstairs into my room. I hear Hopper mumble "I really hope not," to himself behind us.

I dig deep into my closet and rip out every piece of clothing that my mother has tried to convince me to at least try on. I never did. Most items even have the tags still. There are blouses, skirts and dresses with frills, lace, bows and puffy sleeves, in large patterns and bright colours.

"Take whatever you want, and please take everything." I tell El. She looks like my closet is the one that leads to Narnia. We dig through everything together. Most of it is ridiculous and over the top. At last she decides on a quite simple but perfectly pretty dress. She asks if I can help with her hair and makeup.

I dash in to the bathroom to borrow Steve's hair products. On the bottom shelf in the bathroom cabinet lie my scissors. My rushed steps halt. I haven't had time to think about using them on my arms recently. I look down at my cast. I need two hands to do hair and makeup. It's been long enough. I grab the scissors and cut the cast. An odour hits my nostrils that give me upside down flashbacks. I gag. I rub my arm with soap and water before I load my embrace with bottles of hair spray and return to my room.

A while later me and El descend the stairs and into the kitchen. Hopper sits by the table and looks like he's ready to give up on life. Steve left a long time ago to drive his weird child friend to the ball. Me and El definitely took long to get her ready. Give the girl a break it's the first nice event she has ever attended.

"Finally." Hopper grumbles when he sees us. "Let's go."

I grab his arm and hiss through my teeth so El doesn't hear. "Not before you tell her she looks pretty." He glares at me.

"El you look pretty." He says in the most monotone voice I've heard. Better than nothing. I get into the car with them. I have nothing better to do.

*****

"Do you want a ride somewhere?" Hopper asks as he watches El disappear through the doors into the school gym. "Not to a bar." He adds. I laugh.

"Thanks but no thanks. There's someone in the parking lot who wants to share a cigarette with you." I point over at a short figure leaning over a car a few rows away. Joyce. I take a cigarette for myself from Hoppers pack in the middle console. "And I saw someone who I want to share a cigarette with."

"Take care of yourself, kid." Hopper calls after me as I climb out if his vehicle.

I weave through the parking lot as I search for the car I know I saw when we pulled in. I spot the shining blue vehicle a section back.

"Are you gathering courage to go in there?" I ask and nod towards the gym as I get into the passenger seat. He looks up at me and I watch contently how surprise fade to a smug grin on his painfully gorgeous face.

"You wish." He says.

I know why he lingers in the parking lot after dropping of his step sister. He doesn't want to go home. He flicks up a flame on his lighter and hold it up for me to light the cigarette hanging from my lips.  I take a deep drag and lean back agains the headrest. He takes the cigarette and brings it to his own lips. I study his face. The bruises are long healed. Which reminds me.

"Look at this." I say and hold up my arm.

He wraps his fingers around my wrist with a gentleness I never thought he would have in him.

"I didn't think you had any muscle mass to lose," he teases.

"I'll regain it eventually." I shrug. I'm just happy the cast is gone. It was a pain in my ass.

"You know what, I have the perfect wrist exercise," he says with a smirk. I hit him with my healthy hand.

"Fuck you." I roll my eyes and try to contain my smile.

"Yeah." He agrees. I smile at him. He smiles back. I want to kiss him but I don't dare. We have barely acknowledged each other since I crawled through his window a month ago. I think we understand each other though. At least I hope so. He drops my hand onto his thigh and grabs the steering wheel.

"Where do you want to go?" He asks.

I contemplate for a moment.

"Just drive."

THE END