CHAPTER SIX

When we step out of Richie's car we're instantly hit with a wall of loud bad music and I cringe. It is however almost drowned in the screams and cheers of probably almost every teenager in Hawkins. As we get closer the strong smell of sweat, smoke, and sickeningly sweet alcohol drinks rises like a heavy fog in the otherwise frigid fall air. I have to admit that the scene's got a beautiful chaos to it. Something that makes me feel very comfortable at usual times and places, and it would have here as well if it weren't for the fact that the people here were from a school in a town I despise.

"I need a drink," Richie says loudly beside me to overpower the noises.

"Head on the nail," I agree with and give him a nudge to go inside. We start pushing our way past people. It's not difficult since we find most people part by the sight of us. Usually it thrills me but after what I've been through it leaves me with a creepy tugging in the pit of my stomach. I feel everybody's stares and set my face with a hard expression. As long as they find me intimidating I'm untouchable.

We make our way in to the kitchen and are fortunate to be alone as we raid the cabinets in hopes of finding alcohol belonging to the host's parents. Anything but the disgusting content in the kegs and punch bowls that are standing around the house, getting filled with drool and piss throughout the night. Come on Tina's dad, provide me with something classy. Can I at least find a beer with a label?

"Bingo," Richie says behind me. I twirl around and look inside of the cabinet he's holding open. Behind tall stacks of fancy china it's obvious that it's hidden, it's a unopened bottle of tequila.

"Yes baby!" I whisper to my best friend and give him a victory kiss on the cheek. He carefully breaks the seal and unscrews the cap. I get us a red solo cup each, not as good as drinking from glass but it will have to do, we have to be discrete. We might not look much to the eye but we're experienced and smooth criminals. I hold the cups out and he fills them up with the brown liquid before placing the bottle back into its hiding place. If we're lucky Tina's parents won't notice it's opened before they decide to have some, could be years.

"Cheers." We say and clink our plastic cups together before taking large gulps of our drinks. It feels like velvet down the throat accompanied with a sensational burn and it tastes even better to know it's not ours in the first place. We're interrupted from our tasting experience by the ugliest face in Hawkins along with the prettiest. Billy's dressed in a leather jacket with no shirt, and he is walking around with his chest puffed out like a cock in front of chicks. The obviously animalistic behaviour and how natural it seems to him makes me giggle to myself. It stops when the ugly one of the pair pushes his face in front of mine. I have to hold my breath to not vomit.

"Look it's the freak show," Tommy says with a gut stirring smirk on his freckled face. He turns to my best friend, "why don't you show us a trick?"

I've always hated Tommy. He's always been a bitch, eager to please whoever is in charge. It used to be my brother. As soon as my brother found Nancy and matured from prepubescent bullying he was the first one to kick sand over his friend. Now Billy has come to Hawkins and bet you Tommy would be the first one to run circles around his legs and wagging his tail.

"I have a trick, but it might hurt a little," Richie answers calmly and bends forward to get to Tommy's height. The shorter of the two prepares to lunge at the other when the third boy in the room grabs onto his arm.

"Hey let's take it easy, this is a party isn't it?" Billy interrupts the stand off and steps between the two other boys.

"We went in here for a reason didn't we?" He turns to Tommy and raises an eyebrow at him. A malicious smile spreads between the shorter boy's freckled cheeks.