Left Behind P2 - Grumbot

Grumbot's POV

I don't know how long I've been sitting here.

Maybe it's been a day.

Maybe a month.

Does it even matter?

Dads will be back.

They have to come back.

I haven't moved from my position in front of the notice board, reading the papers stuck to it over and over. The Shopping District around me has fallen into disrepair, even the once beautiful diamond throne looking cracked and neglected.

Jrumbot is asleep in my arms, his joints rusted and his little body freezing cold. I gently rock back and forward, trying to keep him safe while I tell myself the same thing over and over.

"They'll be back soon. Don't worry."

"That's what I kept telling myself, and look how well that aged."

I would jump, but I have an inability to be scared. Instead I turn around rather calmly (though I also have an inability to be calm, so I can't really say that) to see a stranger standing behind me.

The stranger looks exactly like Dad, and I almost think it's him. On closer inspection I see that parts of his body are made of metal, like Dads' friend Doc. Two plates of rusted iron are on his face, that run from his jaw to just below his eyes. They look like tears running down his cheeks.

"Who are you?" I ask, tilting my head to show the confusion my voice lacks.

"Dad?" Jrumbot asks, looking almost hopeful as he excitedly bounces up and down in my arms. 

The stranger smiles, a sad, twisted smile that shows pity for my little brother.

"No, I'm not your dad." He tells Jrumbot sympathetically. "I'm just a friend of your dad who wants to help you."

Then he holds a hand out.

"NPC Grian, NPG if you will, at your service."

"Hi." Jrumbot mumbles, waving shyly and making NPG smile again. 

"Hi." He responds. "What's your name?" 

"Dum-Both." 

"He means Jrumbot." I tell him "And I'm Grumbot."

"Hmm... would your other 'dad' be Mr. Mumbo Jumbo, by chance?" NPG asks

"Yes."

"I knew I recognised that moustache." He tells me with a grin, before helping me to my feet. I didn't realise how much ivy and plants have surrounded me until I have to wrestle my way out of their grip.

"So let me guess, Grian abandoned you too?" He asks

"Dad didn't abandon us. He always comes back." I reply calmly

NPG's face softens slightly, his eyes full of sympathy.

"No... he's not coming back this time."

"What do you mean? He said he'd be back!" I insist, starting to get upset

"He lied. He's gone off without you, and he's not gonna come back. Ever."

"No!" I yell "My dads always come back for me, they love me!"