Hogsmeade

Reverie is still awake, eyes wide open, when she hears the first curtain pull open the next morning. She doesn't even need to get out of bed to feel the palpable excitement coming from her classmates: Christmas break.

She didn't think she could wish this day would end any more than she already did, but after a night of tossing and turning and playing over the events from last night and not sleeping, Reverie has crossed the border into dreading the next 18 hours.

Only once she hears every trunk closed and rolled out does she take out her casual clothes, get ready for the day, and descend the stairs.

But, as she reaches the last step to the Great Hall, she realizes she has no idea how she is going to brave not only today, but the next two weeks. With Oliver traveling with his family, the thought of a near-empty castle all to herself loses its charm completely and fills her with fear.

The Great Hall is, for the most part, back to normal, the 12 Christmas trees still in their places, but the ceiling is still bewitched to a light snowfall and a fog-covered sky. Looking up, she can almost convince herself that she's back in the ballroom last night, and she wishes she could've had one more dance.

The growing noise in the hall brings her back from her reverie. Not many people are sitting down; instead, most are standing up, hugging their friends, saying their goodbyes, wishing each other happy holidays. She walks over to Oliver on the further end of the Gryffindor table, and he's already standing, watching as she makes her way over to him.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" He says, concerned, when she reaches him. He places his hands on her shoulders lightly.

"Yes, I'll finally be able to catch up on my reading," she responds, smiling.

"Ok, I'll leave you to your muggle books. But, you have the dates for when I'll be in Scotland and then Greece and Italy. Don't hesitate to write, Rev." She holds onto his arms affectionately.

"Don't worry about me. I'll write. I'll be okay. Enjoy your trip." She reaches up to hug him, and he wraps his arms around her waist.

She nuzzles her face into his neck. "I love you, you know. I'll miss you."

Oliver smiles sadly into her shoulder. "I know, Rev. I'll see you soon."

When they separate, Rev tugs her sweater around her body more tightly, crossing her arms as she watches Oliver get his things together.

"Bye," he says, with a little wave.

"Bye," Reverie smiles back, and watches as he turns and makes his way towards the front as the Great Hall empties out with him.

She only looks away once the doors finally close, and she realizes that there are only 8 other students left, scattered amongst the tables. She shuts her eyes briefly, realizing how quiet the hall is now, and before she can start pitying herself, she grabs a piece of toast and an apple and leaves the Great Hall.

After summoning her coat and her satchel, she makes her way outside and onto a bench on the grounds, where she sits and takes out her copy of Room With A View. Her second time reading it through, she's at the part where George surprises Lucy by kissing her passionately in the poppy field. Charlotte discovers them and chastises Lucy for disobeying traditional society's judgment and restrictions.

But instead of losing herself in the story as she normally would, her mind wanders.

She knows the kiss yesterday was an anomaly, fueled by the cold and loneliness and slight inebriation. Why did he even kiss her? She was sure of his indifference towards her, sure of her own indifference towards him.