HD

Any thoughts of battling her way out of her predicament went south when Jordan got to experience Daniel West up close and personal. She sat meekly in a barn stall, chained to a hitching post, a scratchy horse blanket draped over her body. Despite his rough treatment of her, shoving her so hard against the barn wall that her teeth rattled, he didn't touch her. It was a testament to his loyalty to Henry and she was grateful for it. But when Henry finally sauntered in, a long wicked bullwhip dangling from his fist, the fear she held for Daniel paled miserably in comparison. He wasted no time in ripping her cover away and getting down on one knee in front of her.
"Now that I'm calm, you and I are going to have a conversation." He said. "I'm going to ask questions and you're going to answer them."
His voice was low and controlled. It was far more frightening to her than she could have ever imagined. Powder kegs were quiet too, until the fuse was lit.
"And if I think you're lying you're going to taste this." He warned, uncoiling the braided whip. "It will scar, Jordan. And my belt will seem like a distant dream. Do you understand?"
As it turned out, Henry didn't need to ask a damn thing. He had no sooner finished his sentence then Jordan started blabbing, sometimes almost incoherently. She couldn't get the words out fast enough. She figured as long as she kept talking, Henry wouldn't start swinging and when she was finished, his expression was as cold as winter on the plains in January.
"And that's how I know." She ended. "I saw him kiss her and now I wish I had witnesses to tell you the same. But I don't. Who knows how long it's been going on? The constable made a hasty retreat before Missy dragged me into the tearoom. She saw nothing."
When he pressed Jordan for more, like what sort of conversation they were having and where Big Eddy and Brendan were, she couldn't say much. All she knew was that Ireland had given everyone the night off and that she and Tim had been arguing behind closed doors.
"Who knows what they were scheming? But I can assure you that's what it was. A scheme." She added.
Indeed. How Drake was able to gain access to Ireland was something he would have to investigate. Unless Ireland had called on him. It had happened before his signing everything he owned in this part of the territory over to her. It was also before she had declared her love for him. It was too much limited information but he got the distinct feeling Jordan was not lying about that encounter. It was a solidified deduction when he stood and stepped back, snapping the whip so that she felt the air from the tip kiss her face. Jordan Lakefield, scholar, daughter of wealth and privilege, pissed herself wrapped in a dirty horse blanket.

It wasn't long after Jordan's uninvited visit to the ranch when Henry returned her to her family. It had not been pleasant for her. He kept her for two long days tied in the barn and made her wait for a punishment that never came.
On the last day, he came to her, bringing a modest prairie dress with him. He had contemplated bringing her home in what she wore now but opted out, sending one of his men back to Solstice to retrieve the new garment. Dropping Michael Lakefield's daughter off in half of a corset and urine soaked animal covering was not the best idea, although well deserved. There was no need to antagonize a powerful man like Lakefield because he never knew if he may need him someday. Henry always kept an ace in his pocket.
It took approximately four days to reach the Lakefield estate and in that time, Henry was sure Ireland had received his letter, hand delivered by Daniel, informing her he would be coming home in two weeks. She was to close the saloon that night and wear the gown he had married her in because he had something special for her.
In the meantime, he and Jordan rode through bustling Cheyenne. It made Black Rock look like Solstice and it was pure irony the small city was named in honor of a tribe the government meant to crush to make the wealthiest richer. Men like Michael Lakefield.
The estate was just on the outskirts of the busy streets of the city and surrounded by homes similar in stature. It was gated and they were met by the butler who was astonished to see the youngest Lakefield daughter sitting on the helm of a wagon. He greeted Henry cautiously and told him he would go fetch Mr. Lakefield immediately, almost stumbling over his own feet to do it. Henry turned to Jordan, who was sitting sullenly, her sour face hidden by a simple tan bonnet.
"I'm not going to tell your father of your unsavory activities these past months." He told her. "Apparently, it was hard enough to find you a suitor without society knowing you enjoyed playing whore for a time."
She said nothing. She was afraid to. Four days on the trail with Henry Delarue had taught her that staying quiet served her better than trying to convince him to join her. She hadn't even been able to utter Ireland's name in conversation. The one time she tried, he backhanded her and threatened to leave her out in the middle of nowhere.
Michael Lakefield appeared in the doorway of his home, wrapped in a plush, red house robe, despite the quickly warming day. His aging, clean shaven face revealed nothing of what he felt. He simply descended the limestone steps of the porch and walked towards them, his hands stuffed casually in the front pockets and his nose in the air.
Henry helped his daughter from the wagon as if he were a gentleman rather than pushing her from it like he had the urge to.
"Jordan." Her father sniffed.
No hugs. No questions. It was as if he cared very little.
"Thank you for her return, Mister...?"
"Delarue. Henry." Henry responded.
Michael extended his hand and Henry shook it, noticing that the man's hands were soft, used only for counting money and signing documents of title most likely.
"And where was she this time?" He inquired dully.
This time?
"Dancing at a cabaret in Black Rock." Henry lied easily. "I think she was ready to come home."
"Well, I suppose there's a matter of that reward. She's costing me a fortune. They all do. But this one.." Lakefield quipped. "Unnecessary. She's supposed to be at the university in Ohio."
Henry gazed down at Jordan who stood between them silently. He had never seen the girl so quiet.
"She and I had a long conversation about that." Henry informed him. "I told her that running in unsettled territories is dangerous. Next time, it might not end so happily."
"Quite." He answered.
He gave Henry the once over. Rough and tumble were the words that came to mind but he noticed his expensive weapon and gold timepiece that hung from a well made vest. Undoubtedly a bounty hunter.
"Pardon me for not inviting you in. My wife is indisposed at the moment." He told him. "While I get your reward, Jordan will thank you for her safe return."
Henry knew Lakefield's excuse was just that. He just wanted to keep riffraff out of his home. As soon as the man was out of earshot, Jordan narrowed her eyes and glared up at Henry from the shade of her demure bonnet.
"This isn't over." She hissed. "Not by a long shot."
"And let me tell you something." He snarled back. "If I ever see you again, nobody else ever will."
"We'll just see about that!" She challenged and brushed by him callously.
As Jordan went up the steps, she passed her father, ignoring him completely even though he had stopped to say something. He only shook his head in resignation and met Henry at the gate.
"One thousand dollars." He said, handing Henry a wad of cash. "I thank you again for bringing her back unharmed. She's so much different than her sisters. I'll give you a little hint on what to do with that cash."
Lakefield leaned in like he was going to tell him the biggest secret in the world.
"Buy some land in the Black Hills when the savages are removed. I can't tell you why but if you do as I say, you'll reap the rewards of that territory. I have it from good authority the military will be moving through at the end of June."
Henry didn't expect that tidbit of news. But if anyone rubbed elbows with the elite, it was Michael Lakefield. The end of June had at least narrowed down the time span. Now he could effectively deal with his wife.
"Thanks for the tip." Henry said, casually. "Maybe we'll meet again someday."