A Tooth for a Tooth

"I had the worst dream." Gwen muttered in her half sleep.
It took her a few groggy moments to realize that the bed she thought she was in was not her own. It was rocking too and when her eyes fluttered open, the first thing she saw was a swaying oil lamp hanging from a rounded ceiling. She was in a covered wagon that was moving steadily to an unknown destination. She went to sit up but found her slender wrists had been tied tightly to the cot she was in and her ankles had been secured as well.
Henry had expected her to start screaming immediately but to his surprise, he watched as her eyes darted quickly around her. She looked confused, especially when she realized she was thoroughly dusted in white powder and laying on shredded burlap.
"Well, look who's awake." Henry drawled.
It was then that screaming commenced. Lighting a cigar, he let her carry on for what felt like an eternity until it grated on his nerves enough to spring from his seat and grab her roughly by the face.
"Don't make me stuff that mouth with something, Mrs. Drake." He growled. "No one can hear you anyway. We're three hours out in the plains. Besides, I'd save them for later when they actually count for something."
Henry had never seen anyone start bawling without making a sound. But that's exactly what she did. Gwen's eyes weren't just leaking tears, they came streaming from the corners and saturating her wavy black hair that was pooled beneath her head. And yet, she didn't utter a peep. He had no idea this was an acquired skill from years of trying not to call attention to any of her debilitating bouts of her malady. They would strike just about anywhere and at any time. She turned and faced the wall of the wagon, refusing to look at him.
"I imagine you're frightened." He teased. "I mean, I can't fathom going through life scared of nothing all the time. And then the one day you decide to face down your personal demons, it turns out that day, the danger was very real. Life's funny like that."
He heard her suck in her breath and let it out slowly. Everyone in the town knew her to be a scared little shit and they all treated her like a delicate flower that would wither if she got looked at wrong. It was not going to be the case this time.
"What have I ever done to you?" She barely whispered.
"Nothing." He answered directly. "You can take it up with your husband later."
At least there is going to be a later, she thought with minuscule relief. But when she would be released was the question now. It was one she didn't ask knowing he probably wouldn't tell her anyway.
"Am I going to suffer like my sister suffered?" She managed to ask.
The question was bold for a woman like Gwen and Henry smiled. He looked at her, her helpless form tiny and tied. Not so long ago, even shortly after he met Ireland, he would have defiled her for sure if he felt the urge. It was even tempting now but there was Ireland, forever in the back of his mind. It was amazing how much she truly had changed him. There was no doubt in the darkness of his psyche that he knew Gwen Drake was probably as tight as the hammer of a new pistol being as small as she was. And it would be icing on the cake to pair it with what he already had in store for her just to crush Drake even more than he was about to do. But for now, that was not on the menu. He did intend to have a little fun with her before it was all over however.
"Are you asking if I'm going to fuck you?" He mocked. "Is that why you really took my offer? Maybe you were looking to..."
"May God have mercy on your blackened soul." She interrupted.
"God ain't got nothing to do with this." He snarled. "Why would he punish someone as innocent as you? No, Gwen. You did this all on your own. Well, maybe not all of it. In due time I'm going to tell it to you in dirty detail. You'll find out everything you want and need to know and probably some you don't."
She didn't doubt that. His words were more tortuous than she ever thought words could be. And she was sure he was going to inflict more than physical pain on her. She figured soon enough she would find out why he targeted her.
"It's not all bad, Little Red Riding Hood." He purred, stroking the soft material of the bright red dress. "Just think, you can brag that you survived your encounter with the big bad wolf."
"So you're not going to kill me?" She asked cautiously.
Henry huffed amusedly.
"Not in the plans but that ultimately depends on you. No, this is just a simple lesson in respecting another man's property, knowing boundaries and accepting your place in the pecking order."
Gwen stayed silent after that but she was visibly shuddering, a thing she knew this outlaw could care less about. Even with the limited information he gave her, she knew this all led back to something her husband had done.