Chapter Five

Father

Randolph drove a square-shaped car, a Kia which he used to say was a piece of shit, but I always told him that many wished to have a piece of shit like his, but he wouldn't listen to me. Today it didn't prove to be what he always stated. Although the car's blue washed out color and lack of air conditioner moved swiftly through the roads. At first, he drove fast, but then he hit the brakes when he saw a huge hole in the middle of the road. 

"Oh, my God," I blurted out. 

"It must have been the earthquake," Randolph said. He reversed the car and parked it in a corner. 

"Let's just leave it here and see what happened," he said. I nodded in agreement and as we walked into the forest we could see the massive dark smoke over the trees.

"It must have been some sort of a crash. Maybe an airplane," Randolph said.

"It must have been a big airplane to make the ground shake like it did," I said. Randolph nodded as we paced along the deep forest. My boots sank on the muddy ground. It had been drizzling these last couple of days here, so the leaves were still humid and wet. They smelled of freshness and pure grass, but beyond the logs and leaves I could see a strange opening of the forest. We walked about three miles. From time to time I had one of those logs and Randolph would stop and look at me with worry.

"You know Joe, you can stay here."

"The hell with that. I wanna see what that was," I would say and take in the chunks of deep breath. Randolph nodded knowing that I was a stubborn man. I wouldn't stop for anything if I didn't' want to, even if the trip meant my sudden death, which I hope it didn't. After those breaks, I would take my hands off the trees and continue on with the walk until we reached the strange opening. Logs and branches were scattered all over the opening and a huge dark stone shaped object with a dark point at the top was buried deep in the ground. I didn't know if it was stone or not, it looked like metal made, but I was unsure. There was smoke all over the tops of the trees, but there was no heat coming off the object.

"What the hell is that?" Randolph asked. I approached the enormous stone, but I was beginning to realize that it wasn't really a stone. It seemed concrete-like, made of metal, but at the same time I wasn't sure if it was made of steel or what. It was nothing I had ever seen before. The metal thing or whatever the heck it was had some strange markings of lines and symbols I couldn't understand. I extended my hand and reached out for it. 

"Joe, don't touch it," Randolph said, but it was too late. I had touched it.

"Wow," I said. 

"What? What is it?" Randolph asked 

."I don't know, but it's not hot. It's cold actually. Why isn't it hot if it just crashed?" I asked.

"Joe I don't like this, let's get the hell out of here. I think we should call the police or something," Randolph said.

"Don't be such a scary cat," I said and touched it again, but Randolph hardly moved.

"What do you think it is, some meteor or something?" Randolph asked. I shook my head.

"No. This isn't a meteor Randolph. I think it's a spaceship," I said. It was the only logical explanation for it.

"Oh, hell no, shut up Joe. How can you say something like that? Do you know how stupid you sound?"

"Then what is it?" I asked him. Randolph paced to get near to the object, but he hesitated when he extended his hand and decided not to touch it.

"Joe, come on, let's get out of here," Randolph insisted. I stepped back from the large black metal object and walked towards Randolph, but he didn't move an inch. Instead, he stayed there watching it with wide eyes and a jaw dropped, but this lasted only for a while and after a minute or so he turned around and pulled my arm. I didn't want to leave, but I turned around thinking that maybe Randolph was right and that maybe it was a stupid idea to stay here alone. Who knew what this thing was. For all we knew it was something made by the government or something dangerous. Some things were just better to be left alone I thought. We were about to leave when we heard a sound, like that of a tire going empty.  PsssssstNaturally, we turned around. I didn't only feel the shivers, but the curiosity was much bigger than my nerves and so glanced at the enormous object and noticed that a smooth, dark panel slid up and a bright blue light shone from the gap it created. I had to squint because the light was bright, but it wasn't enough so I covered my eyes. Randolph suddenly squealed and ran away from the place leaving me behind."Randolph!" I cried out loud, but I tilted. I had to see what came out of that weird object. The blue light faded slowly and as it did I took my hands out of my forehead and I squinted less and less until the blue light was completely gone and now the opening was dark as rotten teeth. I didn't know what to do. Should I just go walk into the hole to see what or who was inside, stay put or run the hell away from there. I was unsure. Then I saw very thin, metal grey fingers clutch the sides of the hole with a loud bang noise and then a metallic grey face appeared with blue lights as eyes and slot for mouth. I turned around and tried to run away, but I tripped on a damn log. I scampered upwards to see a machine in front of me. It had limbs like a man, it was even dressed with a white robe. There was something about him that seemed friendly. His face was childlike and innocent. He walked towards me. I covered my face with my arm, my elbow raised at him and I screamed. The robot screamed back.