Chapter 1 | Introductions

"There you are."

Hardly a greeting as I step into the cold building. I shiver slightly, glancing nervously around as I try to figure out where the voice had come from. Suddenly, as if out of nowhere, there they are standing in front of me.

"Pick your jaw up and follow me. Are you always this late to new jobs?" They tilt me backwards with their finger, causing me to lose grip of the papers I'm holding, then turn around and start walking down a hallway.

"No sir- I'm sorry-" I scramble to pick up my papers, quickly following.

We walk in silence. It's unsettling, only hearing footsteps in a cold and empty white hall. I almost sigh with relief when Dr. Four stops and turns into a room. I stand at the doorway, watching as they sit down on their chair and move around some papers. They then turn the office chair around to face me.

"So. We never got to properly meet over the phone. Now would be a good time before I send you off. You know what I wrote on the paper, but I would be Four Demon. You?"

"X Variable, sir."

"Just call me Four." I nod quickly.

"Now that that's out of the way, take these. Your office is three doors down the left, should have the number 2763 above it." They shove a small stack of papers in my hands, all stapled together. I nod once again, not wanting to seem rude, then back out into the hallway.

I walk as quickly as I can without sounding like I'm running to the door they mentioned. I look up above the doorway. Yep, 2763. The door opens without a fight, and the inside looks just like Four's office. I slowly walk over to the chair and sit down, setting all the papers down on the desk. I put the ones I brought to the side- they're really just notes for me from my friends- and hold up the ones Four gave me to read.

Guidelines

1- Watch over the objects.

2- Make sure the objects do not get into trouble.

3- Keep your own actions in check.

4- In the case of other lab assistants, keep them in check.

5- Make sure the objects do not get too close and/or learn of the concept of romance.

6- Do not get too close/attached to the objects.

7- Do not disobey my orders.

8- The objects are to stay with me for the first few days. Do not interfere.

More guidelines will be made if deemed necessary.

Dr. Four

I stare at the paper in confusion. Objects? I haven't been told anything about objects. Why would Four keep a secret from me? Aren't we working together now? I flip over to the next page in the stapled stack to take my mind off the worries racing through my head.

The Experiment

I have been working on the creation of living objects for many, many years.

The reason is for me to know for the time being. All you need to know is that you will be helping me in the keeping of these living objects- if they work out. Some will not come out correctly, but there are ways we can deal with failures. Those who do end up right will remain with me for the first few days, then handed off to you.

When you receive them, they will have tape of a certain color on their body somewhere. Do not remove it and/or pick at it, for it is very important.