🔍⚡Soulmates⚡🔍

Word Count 845

Au: Non-despair Au, Soulmate Au

Pairing: Saiibo, Platonic Saimota

Genre: Slight angst, fluffy ending

Tw: Mild panic attack

Summary: Shuichi had a mark on him that changed to his soulmate's favorite color when they touched it, as did everyone else, but he didn't quite catch who it was that touched his mark until they were far out of sight.

-------------------------------------------------

  Shuichi sighed as he slumped down on his couch after a busy day. He knew he couldn't sleep on the couch, but he couldn't bring himself to stand. It was like a weight throughout his being that pulled him into the cushions. He blinked, trying to regain his focus. He glanced down at his mark and froze. 

    He closed his eyes for a bit before opening them once again, hoping he was mistaken, but no. He was seeing correctly. The once pitch black mark on his first three fingers had turned a vibrant, electric blue. He had met his soulmate that day.

And he.

Didn't.

Even.

Notice.

     He swallowed back his growing panic as he stood, reaching for his phone to call Kaito. Maybe he'll know what to do. He paced the floor and waited an uncomfortable amount of time for the astronaut to pick up. 

     Finally, a voice. "Hey, Shuichi! What's up?" Kaito asked casually. Shuichi took a breath. "Yeah I just… well I.. met my soulmate today!" Kaito's reply sounded ecstatic. He had found his soulmate several years before, and was getting quite bored of helping Shuichi with his "what if I don't have a soulmate??" freakouts. "That's great!! Glad you won't be the third wheel anymore!" He said with a laugh. "Sooo? Who is it?" Kaito continued.

     Shuichi cringed. Kaito was so happy for him, and for what? He answered in a quiet tone. "I.. don't know.." There was a pause. 

A falter in the once excited mood of the conversation. "..Huh?" Kaito responded, confusion filling his tone. "I… I don't know who my soulmate is.. I was stressed the whole day and never thought to check my mark until I got home. It could be anyone.."

    Shuichi felt like he was going to cry. The universe gave him a million clues just so he could find the person he would love. The person who would love him. Forever. A million signs and he didn't see a single one. He was going to be alone forever. 

     He didn't realise he was sobbing until Kaito spoke again. "Shuichi! Shuichi, listen to me, it's okay! You'll find them again! I can help you! Please calm down.." Shuichi's voice quivered as he replied. "I d-don't think I'll see them a-again.. I messed up and n-now--" Shuichi couldn't finish. He could only cry. 

      He sobbed and choked through the beeps that signaled the end of a call. He sat down and curled in a ball with his knees to his chest, his arms around his knees, and his head in his arms.

    He heard a knock at the door. He ignored it. He heard jingling and clicking and creaking, and all of a sudden, he was in Kaito's arms. Shuichi cuddled into his chest and tried to speak. Kaito hushed him.

    The detective cried in his friend's arms until he had no tears left. The feeling of Kaito's fingers running through his dark hair was calming. He let himself slowly drift off in Kaito's embrace. 

--------------------(Time Skip)--------------------

    Shuichi felt his lungs filling with the frigid air around him. An uncomfortable feeling formed in the back of his throat. Each exhale made a small puff of vapor briefly appear. It was a few days after the whole.. soulmate mark incident. 

    He had gotten over it at that point. So what if he couldn't find his soulmate? Not his fault the soulmate system was flawed. His thoughts were interrupted by a tap on his shoulder.

   He turned around to be met by a man(?) who looked around four inches shorter than him. His sharp, white hair fell around his somehow flushed, metallic face. He wore a pale blue winter coat that seemed far too big for him.

Adorable.

     "Hi! Sorry to bother you, but did you happen to visit a nearby coffee shop a few days back?" Shuichi thought for a bit. "I think so.. Why?" He answered. 

    The robot beamed. "Great! I've been hoping to see you again! See, I work there, and I couldn't help but notice that when I handed you your drink our marks changed colors.." The robot explained, rubbing the back of his neck. He seemed nervous.

   Shuichi's face grew red (redder than it already was from the cold, that is.) "O-Oh! I didn't even realise! Funny story, I didn't notice my mark until I got home!" Shuichi laughed. 

     The robot offered his hand. "Well, I'm K1-b0, but call me Kiibo!" Shuichi took his hand. "Shuichi Saihara! Nice to meet you!" The robot's hand was cold, but holding it made Shuichi feel so warm. They continued to talk as they walked down the street together.