1 | Ain't Necessarily So (or 2+2=5)

The mug is warm in his hands as he cups it idly and stares out of the window. The people watching window. The flat has two faces, you might call it hypocritical. The front face overlooking a small park is the socially acceptable face, all calm and niceness, but the back face, the people watching face, that is where all the interesting stuff happens. Which is why Kim Taehyung is currently sitting there. He likes to watch and judge people's lives from his safe haven. This side of his beautiful, neat flat, overlooks some less than salubrious, cheap studio apartments. The downside of living in a built-up city. Or the upside if you like people watching.

Today, he is watching with a particular purpose. He is watching to see who is going to move in to the empty flat opposite. He knows the flat has been rented out, because he owns it. He bought the small building of four flats behind his own, as an investment and he likes to keep an eye on things. He doesn't manage the flats personally, he has agents for that. He isn't the type to get involved with the nitty gritty aspects of life, just to observe them and judge them.

He notices a motorbike pulling up in front of the building. The rider of the well worn bike shuts off the engine, pulls the bike onto its stand and takes off his helmet, revealing bright red, dyed hair. The owner of the hair shakes his head, slides his leg off the bike and stands up. He wears battered leathers and a tattoo snakes out from his collar, winding up the side of his neck.

Kim Taehyung watches and judges and thinks, Another low-life. Well I suppose it's not surprising, they are some of the cheapest flats around.

The biker turns to grab the bag that is on the back of the bike and seems to sense that someone is watching him, because he looks up and sees Taehyung. He sees and responds by giving the biggest warmest smile Taehyung has ever seen

 He sees and responds by giving the biggest warmest smile Taehyung has ever seen

and before he even realises what he is doing, he smiles back broadly.

The biker nods an acknowledgement and turns and goes into the building

The biker nods an acknowledgement and turns and goes into the building. Taehyung continues to watch and sees the young biker enter Flat 4, take off his leather jacket and plop himself down on the sofa.

Taehyung having finished his observations for today, picks up his mug and goes to sit on his pristine white leather sofa facing the park. He is expecting his friend to arrive at any moment. The entry phone buzzes and he gets up to answer.