CH2.5: BATTLE CHATTER

Washington DC-12th October 2024.

After the fight I had back there I proceded to, yet again, walk aimlessly down the ruined street, searching for more undead to kill

After the fight I had back there I proceded to, yet again, walk aimlessly down the ruined street, searching for more undead to kill... No survivors, though. I wouldn't be able to watch someone's back in a place like this.
I'm better on my own.

"You will need to find better weapons to fight against the Undead..."

Gabe: "I know... It ain't easy to find weapons when most of the remaining US Military just  left the city."

Oh, can't forget about my new companion "Dolos", Mistress of Deception. She... Revived me, or something, after I took a beating and gave me some powers. I'm still supprissed that I know how to use them all, despite not even knowing that I had them until I used them.

Anyways, as I kept walking I managed to find a destroyed LAV-25 vehicle. I didn't pay too much attention to it until I noticed an giant Hesco Barrier right beside it.
A temporary military outpost... Maybe I can find something in there.
As I made my way inside, I fell victim of the stench of Blood, Guts and Rust mixed together.

Gabe: "Yeah, I'm not gonna forget this smell..."
-I said to myself as I came upon more destroyed vehicles and corpses.
I was starting to think that I wouldn't find anything useful until I heard someone whimpering into what seemed to be the armory.

As I walked towards the entrance, the whimpers went louder, and my assumptions of a survivor became right when I opened the door.
There sat a soldier, with his back against the wall in a fetal position while holding an M9 Beretta pistol... What I didn't expect is for him to aim his sidearm at me and fire as soon as I opened the door.

Soldier: "GET AWAY FROM ME!"
-He shouted at me before he fired his weapon. I quickly took cover behind the wall, dodging a bullet.

*BLAM-BLAM-BLAMM!*

Soldier: "I DON'T WANT TO BECOME ONE OF THOSE! I DON'T WANT TO DIE!"
-He kept screaming while firing his pistol to make sure I didn't take a peek.
Poor man probably saw all his teamates die while he was hiding... There was no hope for him. He went so crazy that he couldn't see the difference between a human and a zombie, and the horror in his voice enforced my assumptions.

*BLAM-BLAM-BLAMM!*

Soldier: "I DON'T WANT TO-"
-That was my chance. That 2 second pause was enough for me to take a peek and aim my XM4 at him. I put him out of his misery by putting two rounds on his chest and one in his head, the suppressor on my carbine doing it's job and silencing most of the gunshot and suppressing the muzzle flash.

*PSH-PSHT!*
*PSHT!*

He fell on his side, dead... The lifeless expression on his still opened eyes was both terrifying and sad... He went through a lot and lost a lot, ending up like this... Not even dying by the hands of the enemy... But by my hands.