6|Home

The doctor surgery was pretty quiet all things considered. We got in, grabbed what we needed, and left with no issues at all. This is considered a good day for those of us used to going out on supply runs like this. One day, I hope we'll never have to leave camp for these kinds of runs and can just trade these items or even make them ourselves. Better yet, the world goes back to how it was, but that's wishful thinking. We weren't far from the compound now and my knee was really starting to hurt, a lot. Ellie had opted to help me walk by having one of my arms over her shoulders and walking with me. It was faster this way and meant I couldn't get jumped by someone at the back of the group. The walk had been fairly silent, Ellie was taking in a lot of the surroundings. I guess growing up in a QZ meant she never saw how overgrown the wilderness had become out here. We shared a few short stories from our younger years, both good and bad, even how many infected we'd taken out on our own. I was surprised to hear she'd killed a bloater with another man before, I've never really seen one out here, but I always hear that they suck big time. I loved to hear Ellie talk about her travels across the country with Joel, it was fascinating, and you could tell that despite some of the bad shit that'd happened during it, she'd learnt a lot. I envied how much of the country she'd gotten to see but I didn't envy some of the people she'd met along the way. The hardships she experienced only made her stronger.

When we finally made it back, Daniel instructed Ellie to take me to the infirmary to get checked out and see how my knee was doing. She took me there but sadly couldn't stay. Joel and Tommy wanted to talk to her, so she waved goodbye and left me alone in the hands of Georgina. I hobbled into the infirmary and hopped up onto one of the gurneys the was setup.

"Been a while since you've needed seeing F/N," She chuckled as she walked over to me and began inspecting my knee.

"Yeah, I'm usually pretty careful," I winced as she touched the bruised area and poked it slightly.

"Doesn't look like the damage is too bad, just a nasty purple bruise. Try to relax it for a few days and not put too much pressure on it," She gave me some pain meds, got me to take some and told me to wait for someone to come I get me. I assumed it would either be Maria, Tommy, Ellie or Joel, or a combination of those people.

Some time passed before any of them showed up, it was Maria who did so to help me back to the house. She put her arm around me and shifted mine to be over her shoulder and walked with me. She struck up a conversation as we did so.

"I'm glad you're okay. Ellie told me what happened," She looked at me sternly, "At least it's nothing too damaging," She smiled. I smiled back.

"Yeah, just unlucky I suppose," I chuckled as we continued down the street towards the house I shared with Joel and Ellie, "Are Ellie and Joel staying in the house for a while or are they being relocated?" I mostly was curious to know if Ellie was going to be staying or not. Her and I were getting older, and it was likely our own personal space, as well as Joel's, was going to become necessary soon after they'd finished settling.

"We're thinking of having Ellie settle into the garage out the back of the house and having you in one just up the road so Joel can have the house," She informed me. I felt a little sad to know that me and Ellie were being split up, but it was expected. I'd grown to really like her since she'd gotten here, she kissed me for christ sakes even if she didn't remember it, I did. I liked it and I wanted it again, but I was too afraid to say anything to her. I let out a small sigh as we entered the house. It felt quiet, as if Ellie and Joel weren't there. Maria helped me down onto the sofa and left to get me some water and a snack. I thanked her and she left to go and check on some other people who needed her today. I felt deflated just thinking of not seeing Ellie in the room every morning, I was going to need to move all of my stuff out to a smaller space away from her. I wasn't a fan of it but being just friends, it made sense to have our own separate spaces. Perhaps one day I could pluck up the courage to ask her on a date.