Chapter 4

The end of the week had come and Veronica was making great tips once she got a hang of the menu and vibes of the restaurant. It helped that she was beautiful and young. With all of Veronica's tips, they were able to stay at the hotel.

They never really talked about it but every morning they would wake up in each other's arms. Who in their right mind would bring up something like that to their supposed rival, but it all changed that night.

"You know this has been a great week," Veronica said as Jughead held the diner door open enough for them to pass through.

"Really? I would have thought Miss New York would be dying to get back to her mansion." Jughead said it with no malice in his voice.

"You know I haven't been that girl in years." She gave him a playful shove towards the brick walls of the buildings they walked past. "Seriously Jug, this place is so nice and it's a great break from the everyday pressures of Riverdale and college and murder and gangs and just... life."

Jughead understood where she was coming from but couldn't muster any more than a hum of agreement. He was thinking about what life would be like if they lived in the small tourist town instead of Riverdale. He knew he wouldn't even be close to the man he became through everything and Veronica? Well, she would probably be the same pretentious socialite she was when she first moved to Riverdale. He couldn't help but think if they would still be friends, he didn't think so.

The hotel was in sight and Veronica let out a sigh, "Ugh I can't wait to just sit and watch some trashy T.V. on a cheap hotel bed."

"I wouldn't say no to that." Jughead chuckled.

They got into the room with ease and plopped on the bed with relief.

They were laying in bed under the covers watching T.V. when Veronica turned over and leaned into Jughead's side. He had his arm on the headboard already so dropping it around her shoulders was easy.

They continued watching in silence until Veronica let out a laugh. Jughead looked down at her, curled up on his side, and smiled. He was happy to just have her there so he stared for a moment. Veronica tilted her head up and smiled into his eyes. Seeing her look up at him like that clicked something in Jug.

Jughead leaned his head down and placed his lips on hers. Instantly Veronica was kissing back, hands in his hair. Jughead turned her onto her back and placed his weight on top of her, never separating from the kiss. His hands wander her torso and made their way under her shirt and onto her warm, tan skin.

Almost as fast as it had started Jughead jumped off the bed.

"I can't- We ca- We can't-" He turned away.

Veronica stared at his hands clasped behind his head. "Why not Jughead!? I thought-"

"Because I'm not Archie!" He screamed as he turned back to her. "And I never will be." He continued in a hushed tone, lowering his head to look at the floor.

"You think I don't know that!? I don't want you to be Archie. If I did I would still be with him. I want you Jughead. Isn't it obvious!?"

"Well, you can't have me!" Jughead would not stop screaming in frustration.

"And why not?" Veronica tried to be calm but she felt the tears coming and the flutter of anxiety in her stomach.

"Because I'm no good for you, Veronica! I'll ruin you! So do us both a favor Princess and leave it alone." With that Jughead closed the door to their hotel room leaving Veronica alone inside.