twenty-three

The following days had been a blur to Winnie Yuller, having been shut in one of the rooms in the slat, revising a scolding from Kaz Brekker even if she dared to go down to the bar for a drink. Inej, Nina and Alina brought all of her meals to her room, and when ever Kaz urged her to have meals with them she would through bits of chicken at Matthias from pure boredom.

She was starting to feel when she been thrown in her cell by Rollins, shut from the public, reduced to nothing. She was starting to feel as if she was wasting away, she couldn't help and the plan that Kaz Brekker was brewing was not told to her; Alina had slipped up a few times, but was quickly shut by Nina - a hand covering her face as she was dragged out of her room, with Inej smiling at her sheepishly. She was beginning to go mad, she missed the outside. She didn't care that she had a bounty on her head, at that point.

She knew Kirigan was close to the country, by now. There had been a shift in the air since the beginning of the day before; the salt in the air was far more pungent now that there was a multitude of boats on the shore, and from her window, Winnie could just make out fifth harbour; the two trading boats floating idly on the water.

When he comes, Winnie had to make sure she could face him. There was still a dull thump at the back of her head when she thought of the male - Winnie only hoped there wasn't a stray infatuation she had for the male. She didn't want to be caught victim to his mind games, not when she had been able to break away from his spider web thus far. Though, he had a habit of drifting back into her thoughts - something she detested.

Winnie knew the rest of the time was slowly growing impatient, the black heretic was taking his time coming to Ketterdam. His presence was something that was slowly slithering through the public. Rollins and Van Eck where both eager to disclose information about the male coming to the country, and Inej had heard the Rollins still had Winnie locked and under his supervision. How the merchant council brought his lie, was flabbergasting to say the least.

Being locked up in her room, allowed Winnie to rearrange her thoughts, to plan. She was growing impatient herself, after all, and without having any intel of the plan - in fear she'd be taken and tortured again. Kaz had prohibited her from joining on any of the group discussions. However, part of her was grateful for Kaz for keeping her in the dark. She had been in the face of danger for too long and being thrown to the side and blind from the dangers, had allowed her to relax for a moment.

So, she went to the next thing that could occupy her. She found her staff lodged in Kaz's cupboard in his office and began to twirl the stick in her hands, humming at the familiarity of the weight in between her hands. Although, she knew that she shouldn't rely on the weapon for any fights she may endure, it was always good to have a weapon with her; something familiar.

To further aid her, she had began to experiment with her powers, relishing in the heat spreading through her body at the sheer power rocking in her body. Sure enough, she had been able to create strings of fire to catapult from her palms in swift motions. She began to grow smug over the course of the week being stuck in her room, creating holes in walls - as well as burning the ceiling, turning the white to black.

Thus, being preoccupied with the flames in her hands, she hadn't heard the banging at her door, causing her to flinch and throw a ball of sunlight toward the opposite wall.

As soon as it swung open, she heard a yelp and a string of curses, Jasper clung to Wylan and pushed the ginger in front of him before entering her room also.

"Do I need to tell Kaz that you're becoming a safety hazard?" Jasper declared, his hands still on Wylan's shoulder before releasing his grip. Winnie rolled her eyes, releasing a small sigh from her lips.