Prolouge

31 OCTOBER 1981
GODRICS HOLLOW

Halloween night. Three friends all sat in a small room in the home they thought to be safe. The Potters - Lily, James and their baby son Harry and their close friend Adelene Dumbledore and her baby daughter Alexandria.

"Pity we can't dress Harry and Alex up for Halloween and take them out Trick or Treating to our Muggle neighbours," Lily smiles at her friend Adelene and then looks over to her son Harry and her goddaughter Alex who are both looking up at James with wonder in their little eyes. "We could dress them up as mandrakes!." Laughs Adelene.

James looks at the two small children and grimaces dramatically.

"Mandrakes?" he says in horror. "How about wolfs or a scary dogs or even Harrys favourite a stag, surely? Or a couple of baby dragons?"

The two women laugh. "Perhaps next year! You always do come up with the best ideas James, although I think baby dragons would be hard to achieve". Adelene says to her friends. "Yes perhaps Adelene, next year will be different, your father seems to think so." A sign came from Adelene's mouth after Lily's words. Her father Albus Dumbledore had hardly got the chance to meet his granddaughter due to the risk they were at. Yes perhaps next year will be different.

James pulled out his wand looking at the small children bellow him "Oh well then nearly time for bed I think" James chuckles quietly, his skilled hand twirling the wand in a complex pattern mid-air, as coloured puffs of smoke shoot out from the end of his wand.

A red train, a black dog, a huge orange pumpkin, a white full moon, a purple witch's hat – the shimmering wisps floating around the room, chasing each other, until they disappear.

The two children look up amazed looks painted on their small faces.

"Now time for bed" Lily and Adelene pick their children up and turn to head up the stairs.

James smiles to himself, looking around for his wand distractedly. He's sure he had left it on the couch a few seconds ago.

"Bandy, what the hell is wrong with you, old thing? You've been in a foul mood all day!" says James glancing at their kneazle.

Bandit snarls, hissing and spitting at the window, tail high, her back arched, fur standing up, sharp nails scratching the glass in a rage. Frowning, James walks over to the window seat and stops in his tracks. Voldemort is walking down the garden path, alone, his wand out, aimed at the front door. He will reach the house in the next few seconds.

He is here to kill Harry and Alex.

There is no time.

"Girls take the children upstairs and go!" he shouts, desperately looking around the room for his wand. "Accio wand!"

He was always excellent at wandless magic. Why not now?

There is no time.

He runs into the hall.

"It's him! Go! Run! I'll hold him off!"

"James!" he hears Lily scream.

Voldemort's spell blasts through the front door, and James feels himself knocked backwards, struggling to regain his balance.

Voldemort steps over the threshold and James moved towards him, blocking the stairs, empty-handed. His left hand is raised, instinctively, but he has no wand.

Voldemort sees it and smiles triumphantly, as though he had expected this.

"Time for your precious son to die, James Potter and I know Dumbledores grandchild is here, she will follow," Voldemort says silently, invading James' mind.

"Over my dead body," James' silent reply.

He can't stop Voldemort, useless, a failed husband, a failed friend and a failed father.

Had Peter betrayed them? Surely not, he would never... Voldemort had somehow managed to extract the information-

Voldemort laughs, delight in his eyes. He raises his wand.

"Scared, Potter?" he asks silently.

James looks back, uncomprehending. He is terrified for his family, terrified for his friend Adelene and his goddaughter, terrified that he failed them. But afraid for himself? It is the farthest thing from his mind. Perhaps if he gives Lily and Adelene time, whatever time he has, they may figure out a way to get Harry and Alex out, perhaps they will make it. There is always hope, until the very end.

I love you, Lily, you and Harry, he thinks. Before he can think of anything else -

"Avada Kedavra!" Voldemort says.

The green light fills the cramped hallway, it lights the pram pushed against the wall, it makes the banisters glow like lightning rods, and James Potter falls like a marionette whose strings were cut....

Harry James Potter and Alexandria Rose Dumbledore were sat in a cot. The bodies of their mothers, two best friends who had just been holding them no more than 10 minutes ago now lifeless on the ground. Tom Riddle, Voldemort was no where to be seen. A small lightening bolt shaped scar sat upon Harry's forehead. The same scar on Alexandrias cheek. The children who lived.

*************************************************

Alexandria Rose Dumbledore, the granddaughter of one of the greatest wizards of all time, Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. Orphaned when her mother, Dumbledores daughter Adeline Iris Dumbledore was brutally murdered along with the Potters in hiding on 31 October 1981. Alexandria's father was never revealed before her mother's death. Thus her guardian became her grandfather.

Sorted into Gryffindor on September 1, 1991, Alexandria became fast friends with the Golden Trio, and quick enemy's than none other Draco Lucius Malfoy. Over the years hate has been formed, however now as 6th year in Hogwarts approaches not all is as it seems...

Lily Colins as Alexandria Rose Dumbledore