Chapter 1

You know, sometimes secrets are important. They can even save someone's life, in certain situations. My life as a SHIELD agent is all about secrets. I've been an agent for seven years, ever since I graduated from MIT at age 17. I had received my bachelor's degree in thermonuclear astrophysics. Yeah, I'm kind of a nerd. I'm also Tony Stark's daughter, so being a genius is kind of in the genes. I love my dad more than almost anyone on Earth. He has been there for me through everything and I hated keeping things from him. He has no idea that I am an agent for SHIELD. He thought that I worked for a specialized secret lab that kept me moving all around the world for work. I know exactly what my dad thinks of SHIELD, especially because of my grandfather's involvement with them and his opinions are, well, let's just say, they aren't very nice. But that's not even the worst part. The biggest secret I was keeping from him? I was dating my partner, Clint Barton. Sparks had been flying between us for years but we only just starting dating almost a year ago, when I got injured on a mission and decided to work in the labs for a while. We finally figured to give it a shot.

My story starts on a boring Monday morning just like anybody else's day. With an annoying alarm clock.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

"Babe, please shut it off," Clint grumbled from beside me, his arm thrown over my waist. I sighed, rolling over and instead of turning it off, I ripped it from the wall and threw it across the room. The beeping stopped immediately and Clint chuckled.

"Yep, you are so not a morning person," he mumbled into his pillow. 

"Yeah not when someone decided that he wanted to get handsy at three in the morning and go for almost an hour," I shot back playfully. I grabbed my pillow and hit him in the head with it.

"Ow! It's not my fault! You rubbing your perfect ass against me like that in your sleep, is enough to get me going," he said defensively, giving me a puppy dog look, that made me laugh.

"Come on we need to get up. We have a meeting with Fury in an hour," I said throwing the blankets back. I stretched and stood up. I bent over and grabbed my clothes that Clint had relieved me of the night before and threw them into the hamper across the room and walked over to our closet to get our clothes together for the day. 

"You keep walking around like that and we are going to be late, kitten," he growled playfully. I chuckled as a shiver ran down my spine. Clint was an amazing guy and an even better lover. 

"Nope, not today buddy, you need to get up and get in the shower before we are late," I said, sternly. "Besides, I'm still sore from last night." I looked over at him laying in the bed and gave him a glare. He laughed and threw himself back into the pillows.

"What do you do to me woman?" he said staring at the ceiling.

"Nothing you don't ask for," I replied going into the bathroom and starting the shower. I tested the temperature of the water and once it was the temperature that I wanted I stepped in, closing the door. I stuck my head under the water, moaning at how it felt against my sore muscles. Fury had been cracking down on us and making sure that we were training more than ever and it was kicking my ass. I turned to grab my shampoo, and as I did, I yelped as I felt Clint's naked body grab me around the waist from behind.

"Starting without me, kitten?" he whispered, his breath blowing against my neck. I whimpered slightly and he chuckled. He slid his hands up and down my sides torturously slow. I whimpered again, pressing my ass against him, feeling how hard he was. He chuckled again and pulled away. 

"You're right babe. This meeting with Fury, could be important, we had better not be late," he said stepping out of the shower, leaving me standing there, fuming.

"You son of a bitch," I growled under my breath at him. He was going to pay for that later.

***********************************************************************************************

An hour later we were walking into Fury's office, waiting for him. We were always on time but it always seemed like he was always late.

"Damnit. If I had known that he was going to be late again, we could have finished what you started in the shower this morning," I said frustrated, to Clint. He laughed as Fury walked in.

"As interesting as your activities outside of SHIELD most likely are, I don't want to know about them," he said, sitting down behind his desk. "And I'm late because I just got done with another meeting. I spoke with agent Coulson and Dr. Selvig over at Central Base this morning. You are both needed there. Barton, you needed as extra security and Stark, you are needed as a liaison for the tesseract project."

"The tesseract project?" I asked, taking the file that Fury held out for me. Clint looked over my shoulder as I looked through the contents and saw that it was being used as a renewable energy source. 

"And Dr. Selvig is who exactly?" I asked looking up at Fury. 

"He's an astrophysicist, who was brought on to work with the device and tell us everything he could about it. And now we need your help. I know you are still young but with your history, we need you," Fury replied. He was looking at me with a knowing look in his eye.

"Have you spoken to my father?" I asked him. This sounded like something they would want to call him in for as well.

"Not yet, but if we need to, we will make it a last resort," Fury replied. 

"Thanks. He still doesn't know about me being in SHIELD, and I would like to keep it that way as long as possible," I said looking back down at the file. I noticed my grandfather's name in the file. I had heard a lot about this thing. It was a part of my family's legacy and I would do everything that I could to help SHIELD with it.

"When do we begin?" Clint asked, speaking for the first time since Fury had walked in.

"Tomorrow morning. 0600 at central base. You know where it is Barton," Fury said, nodding at Clint. Clint nodded in response. Fury dismissed us and we walked out, me still peering at the file. We walked out to Clint's car and I finally closed the file, sighing.

"What's wrong, babe?" he asked looking over at me. I ran a hand through my hair and sighed again.

"It's just...this is my family's legacy. My dad used to talk about how my grandfather used this thing and learned from it and I just really just don't want to screw this up. Imagine a Stark screwing up things with the tesseract of all things!" I cried, throwing my hands up in the air.

"Hey, hey," Clint replied, taking my hand and looking into my eyes. "You are the smartest person I know. Probably smarter than your dad. You will not mess this up. I know you. You are amazing at everything that you do and I know that you can do this. I love you."

"I love you too," I sighed, leaning back and looking into his bright blue eyes. I really did love this man. Even though it had only been a year, I knew that he was the one for me.

"Come on let's get back home and get something to eat, then maybe we can finish what we started this morning," he said, winking and starting the car.

"Oh you are so going to pay for that tease by the way," I replied, grinning wickedly.

"Promises, promises," he chuckled.