Chapter I

"Huh, and here I thought killing my kind wouldn't be a waste of time. Turns out I was wrong..." proclaimed a nonchalant voice.

The young werewolf ripped out her claws from another werewolf's chest, taking his heart out with them. Severa Hatari, a lone werewolf who serves no alpha except God, working as a mercenary to make a living for herself. The large wolf growled his final breath before his eyes went pale. Severa sighed and looked down at her blood-stained hand, the large organ in her clutches. The blood that dripped from it turned the dark green grass below a crimson red. Severa's ears twitched when she heard an unfamiliar sound coming towards her.

"Must be your buddies," Severa said, looking down at the lifeless beast before her, "Don't want them coming to avenge you."

Severa placed the heart in her mouth and got on all fours, her true form taking hold. The silver wolf sprinted across the forest until she was far away from the body. She grinned as she listened to the faint howls behind her. The mercenary soon stopped and stood on her hind legs, taming the beast within, and allowing her hybrid form to be visible. She removed the heart from her mouth, swallowing the blood that slithered down her throat and licking the red that stained her lips.

Severa looked up at the large, dark cave before her and sighed silently, her ears and tail twitching to the summer breeze. Without hesitation, the mercenary walked into the large cave, disappearing into the darkness. Thanks to her night-vision, Severa was able to see several wolves eyeing her. In front of her were two large, black wolves; both resting on stone pedestals. Their heads shot up to the sound of footprints and smiled at who it was.

"Ah, Huntress! So glad to see you in one piece." said one of the wolves.

The wolf jumped down from the pedestal, only to transform into a young man with fair brown skin and amber eyes, dressed in the finest leather suit.

"Alpha Claude of the Silentbite Nightwalkers, I bring you the heart of Ichabod, Alpha of the Evermane Shadows." Severa proclaimed, presenting the heart to the tall man.

Claude walked up to the young mercenary and took the heart from her claws, only to admire the heart with glee-filled eyes.

"With Ichabod out of the picture, that brings the Silentbite Nightwalkers closer to our goal of becoming the ruling pack of Caldore Forest!" Claude proclaimed.

The other wolves began to howl, their chorus ringing throughout the cave. Claude then reached into his pocket and tossed Severa over a bag of gold coins.

"Just as we agreed?" Severa asked, glaring at the alpha.

"And more." the alpha grinned.

Severa nodded and bowed her head, thanking the generous alpha. Severa turned on her heel and started making her way to the cave's opening.

"Severa!" Claude called out.

The mercenary turned around and her ice-blue eyes met his amber eyes.

"You'll always have a place here in the Silentbite Nightwalkers." Claude grinned.

"I know..." Severa said, turning back around and exiting the cave.

Severa was grateful to the packs that she killed for, but if they only knew that she killed for every single one, each of them sending her to kill a member of another pack, and that pack doing the same to another. She might as well be the cause of the civil war that is yet to ascend. Being a loner, she has the right to fight for any pack, but she chooses not to involve herself in something so petty.

Severa walked to the nearby stream to wash her mouth clean of the Evermane Shadows' alpha blood. The young mercenary came upon the steam and stared down at her distorted reflection. Her silver hair danced in the wind that blew past, masking her features. Severa sighed, bent down, and cupped the clear water in her dark brown hands.