Six: Uninvited Guest

"You're really sharpening that spur of the moment steal, Ryouchi!" Kise compliments, he's using the male version of my name as we're not yet close enough to home.

"I'm still surprised that it had worked the first time, when we played against Midorima-kun!" I admit.

"His face when you passed that Takao guy with it!" Kise laughs, arm around my shoulders as we head toward the suburbs. There are fangirls around but they're clearly assuming that this is platonic boy behaviour, when really it's weird protective Kise behaviour.

"Takao-kun seemed quite amazed too." I note with a small laugh.

"Both of them were shocked that you were the golden bullet." Kise adds.

"I didn't go all out. They would put two and two together if we had to face them and Okenok played in exactly the same way as Koneko." I shrug.

It's been three weeks since I met up with the power duo from Shutoku. Kise has tried to arrange something but it never appeals to Midorima. He doesn't like his pest of a fan, clearly. Regardless of the limited practice with Midorima Shintaro himself, my technique of long distance shooting is becoming much more refined and therefore a lot more successful. I am about 30% likely to score with a three pointer. That's great progress if I'm honest, considering that if I were to shoot a three pointer four weeks ago, I would have never succeeded.

Kise and I have been training together in order to copy Midorima. I think Kise called this skill he's playing with 'perfect copy'. While he has been working on more technical shots, I have been at the drawing board, practising the most basic of three pointers. I'm glad to have Kise scrutinising me, it's not always fun but the blond means well. That's clear.

Recently, he's been meeting me at the park before school so I can take out my hair extensions in the public toilets and put them in my bag. He waits for me because he seems to have a newly established obligation to keep a protective eye on me. After basketball practice, he hangs out at my house, lurking downstairs as I shower and change out of my boys uniform and take off my boyish make up, then we watch previous games of the Generation of Miracles. Today we're going to watch the game that I got to see live.

Today is no different from any other, average day; meeting my friend in the park, going to school, Kise being swarmed by fangirls and then basketball practice. As the two of us head toward my house only for us to lock eyes on a male figure outside of my house.

"Konekochi!" Kise says quietly but clearly with alarm, as we draw nearer to my home.

"Ry'?" I'm asked, the voice all too familiar. I feel a harsh stab in my stomach. I rub the back of my neck, laughing falsely and weakly. Why. The. Hell. Is. He. Here!?!

"Hi Nate...long time no call." I greet, speaking English, tone a tad sour.

"Konekochi..?" Kise looks uncertain.

"Kise, this is Nate." I introduce my former captain to Kise, speaking Japanese.

"Nate, this is Ryouta Kise." I repeat the introduction, the other way around and in English.

"Nice to meet you!" The bubbly blond beside me holds his hand out to Nate. Other than P.E, Kise's strongest subject is English. At least that'll make communication a lot easier.

"Come on you guys." I open the door, heading upstairs. Kise files into the living room, he'll kick back in the recliner. Nate will be sprawled out on the sofa.

"I'm going to shower and stuff." I call downstairs, glancing to the living room. "Help yourself to the contents of the fridge." Kise stands and heads to the kitchen.