You are your own destiny. Live it well.

"Who raised you doesn't determine who you are," I repeated my mantra over and over as I waited for the elevator to open. It was my first day at the BAU and to say I was nervous was an understatement.

"Hi, can I help you?"

"I'm here to see Agent Hotchner."

"Agent Monteiro, it's nice to finally meet you."

"Thank you, sir."

"Call me Hotch."

"Okay."

"Let me show you to your desk."

"Thank you." He led me to an empty desk away from the people that were staring at me.

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to let me know."

"Thank you, Hotch." I sat down and took a breath. I was deep in thought when someone sat a cup of hot, steaming coffee in front of me.

"I wanted to welcome you to the team. I'm JJ. Sorry, I didn't know how you take your coffee"

"Cassidy. It's nice to meet you. And Black is fine."

"Conference room, five minutes," Hotch called from the railing.

"We better get in there."

"Okay, Crime Fighters, this is..."

"Just a moment, Garcia." Hotch interrupted. "Team, I'd like to introduce SSA Cassidy Monteiro. Agent Monteiro, this is the team. SSAs Morgan, Prentiss, Jareau and Doctor Reid, and our technical analyst Penelope Garcia."

"Call me Cassidy or Cass. It's nice to meet you guys."

"Nice to meet you too."

"Now that we have our introductions over with, what do you have?"

"This time, you're headed to Michigan, where there have recently been 5 murders."

"And they're just now calling us in? Is that unusual for cases like this?"

"Small towns like this one usually prefer to keep it within town limits."

"Small towns like what?"

"Williamston, Michigan." The blood drained from my face.

"Do you have any crime scene photos?"

"Yeah." She pulled them up.

"I've seen this M.O."

"Me too. Kurtis Johnson. Also known as the Red Cedar Killer. He tortured and killed 227 people before he was caught due to one of his victims escaping."

"Wheels up in 30."

Sorry for the short chapter!