Chapter 1

Hongjoong raked the old hay into a pile, subtly staring at the horseback rider as he did his job. He wasn’t entirely fond of his job but he kept it for the purpose of the one rider.

Besides, which other person would want to hire him?

"Oi, Hongjoong, you're not going fast enough!" the barn keeper barked, making him rake quicker.

"I’m sorry, Sir," Hongjoong apologized, tearing away his partial gaze from the field.

"You better be. And just so you know, you’ll never become an equestrian so stop looking onto the field."

That remark kind of hurt Hongjoong but he didn’t want to become an equestrian anyway so he didn’t let it bother him and instead kept raking the hay. 

He was nearly done and he was starting to sigh in relief when a giant mare escaped out of one of the stalls and trampled through his freshly raked hay.

"NO, NO, NO!" Hongjoong screeched, grabbing a lasso and chasing after the horse.

"YOU BETTER CATCH THE BEAST, HONGJOONG!" the barn keeper yelled, staying in place.

Hongjoong's tiny legs were doing all they could to run after the escaped horse but he wasn’t fast enough and it managed to escape into an open field.

"IF YOU DON’T CATCH IT YOUR PAY WILL BE REDUCED!"

Hongjoong was about to cry. How the fuck was he supposed to catch the mare now that it was in another field and speeding away? 

Fuck his pay, fuck the mare and especially fuck the barn keeper.

"Do you need help?" A gentle voice asked, causing Hongjoong to turn and be faced with a horse's chest. 

He looked up and was met with a pair of eyes he always wished to see up close. 

Park Seonghwa. 

The man that had caught his attention since his younger years. 

"If you don’t mind, then yes please," Hongjoong answered with a sweet smile but trouble in his eyes. 

"Get on then." 

"Oka- wait, what?" 

Hongjoong hoped he heard wrong. How could he possibly get on the same horse as the person he admired most? 

"Get on my horse. Don’t worry, Aurora is strong and she'll be able to hold both of us," Seonghwa reassured, patting his mares rear end. 

"But she might not like it," Hongjoong argued, really wanting to get on but not certain if he was really supposed to get on. 

"Nonsense. But if you really don’t wanna, then you will have to get another horse." 

"Bu-" 

"KIM HONGJOONG YOUR PAY IS ON THE LINE! STOP DIDDLE DALLYING AND GET THE STUPID MARE BACK!" 

That seemed to trigger something within the male and he quickly clambered up the horse with great difficulty. Luckily, Seonghwa was kind enough to assist him and before he knew it, the horse began galloping towards the escaped mare. 

The movement was so sudden Hongjoong would have fallen off if he hadn’t wrapped his arms around Seonghwa's waist. 

Realizing what he had done, he immediately removed his arms but he wished he hadn’t. He thought he was about to fall off the animal. 

"Hold on if you like!" Seonghwa yelled, the wind carrying his voice so Hongjoong could hear. 

Hongjoong didn’t wrap his arms around again but instead, grabbed the fabric from the side of the equestrians hunt coat.