vii. EYES

"Y/N...? WHY DO YOU have a demon slayer knife...?"

you paused, realizing your mistake. all the demons around looked at you as the demon you fought turned to dust in front of you. you could tell they all had one thing on their minds; your extermination.

you walked up to mitsuri. "w-well, i told you, my mother was attacked by demons! demon slayers came and helped me, and one gave me this knife. she was very kind...hehe." you chucklef nervously, scratching the back of your neck.

"ah, i see..." mitsuri replied, obviously a bit skeptical. she had her hand kn her chin as if she were deep in thought. after a minute or two, she retracted her hand and returned it to it's side, and had a grin plastered on her face. it seemed she finally bought your story.

"okay, n/n! i understand." she grabbed your hands and clasped them within her own. a light pink dusted her porcelain cheeks. "now, where did obanai and rengoku run off too..?" she mumbled to herself.

you looked around to try and help locate the two demons. "hmm, maybe we should go back into the restaurant?" you proposed.

"yeah! that sounds like a good idea" she beamed at you. the two of you, hand in hand, walked back into the restaurant. you sat back down at your previous seats when you didn't see the two anywhere. luckily they were still vacant.

"remind me after this to get you human food, okay? i don't want you to starve." mitsuri smiled at you while resting her head in her hands. anyone with half a braincell could tell she had already fallen in love with you again; unfortunately (or maybe fortunately 😏) for you, it seemed like another demon was already gaining feelings for you.

━━━━━━━━━━

16 minutes earlier.

'SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT-' obanai frantically thought as he barged his way into the men's bathroom. it was a private bathroom, that consisted of a toilet, a sink, and other necessities. he threw the door open, slammed it shut, and locked the door. he had his back against the wall for a moment, before walking over to the sink and staring into the mirror.

sure, his reaction to y/n's comment may seem a little drastic, but, considering his past, he had never heard a compliment, unless is was from her. and that made his skin crawl. but, when y/n had praised his heterochromia, he didn't feel sick; well, he felt something in his stomach, but he associated it with sickness, because he didn't know what he felt.

sure, he had been nervous around mitsuri, but when y/n said that, he felt something he never had felt. mitsuri never complimented his features like that; no one had, ever.

he stared at himself in the mirror. his fingers crawled up his face, as he neared his eyes. he lightly pulled on his lower lid to get a better look at the irises y/n had been infatuated with, but not hard enough for it to hurt. he let go, and let his hand fall back onto the ceramic sink.

'you have beautiful eyes.' the young woman said. but, he didn't believe her. beautiful? yeah right. maybe 50 years ago, but now? sure, the different colored irises were somewhat cool, but after he became a demon, the sclera, (white part), of his eyes become a eerie pitch black color that he despised. a shocking reminder of how being turned into a demon had forced his body, mind, and soul into a nasty tar-like pit he could never escape. not a lot knew it, but he never wanted to be a demon. the others where catching on by his defiant acts, sure, but he never told anyone. ever.

he also felt sorrowed. because, the words she spoke, were the ones he waited for his entire life. he longed to hear them for so long, and when he did? he ran. like always.

he stood in that bathroom, replaying the scene in his head. the girl's words repeated on his mind like a broken record player- he couldn't get them out. and the way she looked at him, like there was some hidden beauty underneath the inhumane scales that grew on his body, terrified him.

KNOCK KNOCK!!

obanai flinched.

"hey, bro? you okay?" rengoku's booming voice rang through the door as if it weren't even there.

"i'm fine." obanai responded, voice laced with venom.

"you sure? most demons who run away from humans are most definitely not okay." he teased.

"i'm fi-" obanai began, but was quickly interrupted when the door caved in. rengoku stood, dawning a guilty smile.

he chuckled. "my bad..." his failed attempt to open the door caused a little scene, but most of the demons who looked their way had already turned back around again.

obanai massaged his temples with his middle fingers. "look, dude, mitsuri and y/n are waiting for you. are you really gonna stand up two gorgeous women on your double date?" rengoku leaned on the door.

"i- what?" obanai questioned. kaburamaru rolled his eyes.

"you heard me bro; double date. you're with mitsuri, obviously, since you two have your weird little friendship-thing, and i'm with y/n, also obviously."

"and why would you go on a date with a human-" he crossed his arms, and rengoku interrupted again.

"because OBVIOUSLY!? who WOULDN'T want a piece of tha-" he started, but this time, obanai interrupted.

"enough. let's just go." he pushed past rengoku, who looked at him with a smirk that plastered itself across his face the moment he mentioned y/n. obanai was seething at him, but he was in front of rengoku so he couldn't see.

they approached the girls at their table, but something seemed off. like they had just come back from doing something... shady.

rengoku's eyes immediately landed on the h/c haired woman. his eyes narrowed when he noticed something weird.

"hey, why's there blood all over your haori?" he pointed at y/n's clothes. her and mitsuri both looked down, frantically. the more people who found out about y/n's little 'stunt', the easier the master would find out as well. and if he found out that a demon who didn't need to be exterminated was, in fect, exterminated, he'd be livid. he was very particular about his plans, one wrong move like this could easily send him over the edge. it all depended on his mood.

rengoku's eyebrows furrowed, and he scoffed.

"awe, man, did you guys dig in without us?!"

end.
(unedited)