Chapter 2

Her throat ached, eyes heavy and sore from the dust clouding her in the nights. It felt like a decade had passed but it had only been a few years, at least that is what the marks she drew on the walls with a rock showed.

The old croaky man she often had conversations with was let free of this,
I wonder what he did in the first place or was he accused also she thought to herself regularly.

She sat with her back against the wall and her legs out, the dress she was wearing looked filthy like an old rag torn and discoloured, barely reached her knees anymore.

Her auburn hair twisted and knotted together like dry rope, her hands were bruised from knocking against the walls.

Every step she took her bones felt like they were heavy weights.

The entrance lit up with a yellowy glow getting closer and closer towards the cells.

The guards must be back to get rid of her after all this time and maybe they finally understood she was innocent.

She turned her head slowly to look out through the metal bars and there stood a man, it wasn't a guard nor the king. He seemed like he was confused looking into everyone's cells with squinted eyes a lot more confused then an ordinary villager.

The strange man finally looked her way, continuously looking from her feet to her face.

"is it time for supper?." She stuttered shivering.

Pretending you have no idea what is going on can always be the best option to get more information out of people.

As he went to speak he paused re sealing his lips together.

His lips separated again as his shadow moved forward towards the cell.

"Supper?." He said with a slight odd tone.

She pulled herself off the ground placing her hands on the stone wall to keep her shaky legs from loosing balance.

Itching the side of her stuffy nose she hobbled forward towards him. His eyes moved down to her feet as they scraped the ground.

"no shoes?"He questioned.

"Who are you?." She muttered.

"Lorenzo, my name is Lorenzo and what is yours."

Malia paused for a moment, her vision was slightly blurry and everything was quiet.

"M-malia." Her eyes looked up to his waiting for his response, did he know about the witchcraft accusation? Was he here to rid of her?

"That's a interesting name, malia."

"There is not anything interesting about it is just a name." She replied.

"Well, I believe that every name has a meaning belonging specially to that person." He smirked before sitting down on the ground in front of my cell, I could finally see how he looked, his hair was black like coal and his eyes were green like the moss on the walls.

Why is he sitting on the ground and why is he talking to me.

"What's a lady like you doing down here then."

His voice was not deep nor high pitched it was in the middle, one of those voices you cannot get annoyed by.

"Miss?."

Maybe he didn't know about the accusation against me I mean he had no clue of my name or who I was she thought to herself.

She suddenly was detached from her thoughts by a rock he had thrown through the bars.

"Sorry, um pickpocketing..." she answered quickly.

"pickpocketing hm? such an ordinary forgettable crime." 

His eyes wondered towards the top off the stone wall moving left and right, he looked curious like he was trying to figure something else out.

"What are those?" He questioned pointing towards the marks on the wall.

"It is very in polite to be so curious in one business you know." She turned her head towards the markings.

He laughed slightly at the comment she made towards him.

"Would you be calling me nosey?." He smirked staring at the back of her head.

"Perhaps, the markings have no meaning there just lines from falling stones." She explained.

"Forgive me, I am just trying to get to know people down here."

She turned her head quickly towards him with a confusing look in her eyes.

"I don't think I quite understand." She said tilting her head to the side.

"That is enough questions for now don't you think.?"

Lorenzo stood up dusting off his cloak and his polished leather shoes.

"It was nice speaking to you, Malia." As he walked by he dropped a mysterious item through the bars, it made a loud noise like metal against a rock.

Malia watched as his silhouette disappeared into the shadows before looking down toward the strange object.

As she walked closer to it shined in her eye.  She picked it up with four of her fingers wrapping them around.

"It's A key? But what for?." She questioned

She looked around her cell trying to figure out what the mysterious key was for.
Maybe he didn't mean to drop it and it wasn't for anything in particular a random treasure perhaps?

Looking across the metal bars she realises a gate that brought back a memory of her first time here, when the guards un locked it with a similar object.

She stretched her arm through the gap in the metal bars reaching round to the lock on the rusty chain. With her shaky hands, she put the key into the lock jiggling it about back and forth ignoring every ache she felt in her legs.

Her heart jumped against her chest as the room lit up again, forcing the key to fall from her hand onto the ground.

as the light shined on her face brighter and brighter she pulled the key swiftly under her foot curling her muddy toes around it.

Malia's eyes opened widely when she finally had the realisation of who it was.

the king had stepped near her cell with 2 of his guards a few spaces in front of him with there full suits of armour.

Had that man told him she stole the key from him and now she was getting the blame?

"I believe we have some talking to do miss Scott." He said with a smug look on his face.