Student of the Year

Welcome everyone to another episode of Gen-Z Explain Bollywood! Today, i'll be reviewing Student Of The Year! The original. We don't need to talk about that disappointment of a sequel.

So, let's start with our characters.

We have the fuckboy Rohan Nanda, played by Varun Dhawan.

The fabulous Shanaya Singhania (you're lying if you say you don't know the entire "Shanaya" song by heart), played by Alia Bhatt.

The new dude in school Abhimanyu Singh, played by Siddharth Malhotra.

We also have sidekick Jeet, tomboy Shruti, and comedic duo Dimpy and Sudo.

I almost forgot-

We also have the gayer than Solangelo, Malec and Seblos on a triple date being supervised by Josephine and Hemithea with all of them wearing rainbow t-shirts while having rainbow ice cream sundaes during Pride Month dean who simped over the Sports teacher. And ngl, I don't blame him-

Sorry where was I?

Oh right-

Anyway the movie starts with them reuniting after after a long time because of the Dean being extremely sick. They start remembering all the drama that happened in their last year which leads to flashback mode.

We learn that Rohan wanted to be a rockstar and excelled in velagiri. We also find out that Shanaya is a fashion icon.

We then go to a party where Shanaya catches Rohan flirting with Tanya Israni, played by Sana Saeed (who also played Anjali Khanna). Shanaya, being the fabulous queen she is, "accidentally" spills wine on Tanya and sashays away. Rohan then follows her and pulls a classic fuckboy "you're cuter when you're mad" move. But Shanaya is not having it.

We then go to the school and the annoyingly catchy Kukkad start playing. Cue thirst trap. Cue random dance off which turns into a group We're All In This Together somehow.

Abhi and Rohan do not get off on the right foot. Abhi parks in "Rohan's spot" and in turn Rohan poor-shames him. Abhi makes Rohan's car muddy and they fight.

Not surprising, Rohan's dad is the chief trusty and comes to their school for a lecture which basically is "You win and rules don't apply to you bitch!"

Then we have football, Rohan tries to be intimidating but even my bunny slippers would have rolled their eyes. Rohan pranks him saying they need to give a urine sample. Abhi gets in trouble. Rohan feels guilty. The become bros.

AND NOW IT'S TIME FOR THE LOML AND QUEEN SHANAYA DISSING TANYA BITCHRANI!

I literally know this scene byheart-

We then have the song Shanaya which I agree with wholeheartedly. Kaise taarif kare uski jisne usse banaya?

They go back home every second week, which gives them their reality check. Ashok and the older brother Whats-his-name ridicule Rohan. Jeet's mom tells him his value is being a sidekick. Shanaya feels lost. Shruti is regarded as Shanaya's bodyguard.

We have a random football match. Jeet is captain somehow. They're losing and then somehow win.

I have no clue what this movie is. School romance? Coming of age football movie? Desi High School Musical? KYA CHAL RAHA HAI?

These boys then visit each other's house and get a taste of how their lives are. Then they go to a strip club even though they're underage but hum kon hai question karne vale?

They start dancing and Abhimanyu is the definition of "Go girl give us nothing!"
Like seriously. Some energy?

Then car race. Then back to the club, with Shanaya this time, but Rohan grinds on Tanya. Asshole.

We're back to the Nanda home and Ashok makes more fun of Rohan. Abhi gets an invitation to big bro's wedding in Thailand.

Them getting off the plane. Shanaya disses Tanya. Thirst trap. Bi panic.

Tanya is "releasing Rohan's tension". Shanaya calls him out on his shit. He calls her over emotional. Chutiya. Shanaya devises a plan to make him jealous.

THEN IT'S RADHA. Which is one of my favourite songs. I literally can't not dance to it. Especially the DAFFLI WALEEEEEEEE DAFLI BAJAAAAAAAAA. And Shanaya's outfit is so beautiful-

Rohan gets visibly jealous (while having Tanya all over him) like the toxic asshole he is.

Insert thirst trap. Insert tension release. Insert jealousy. (what no i'm not jist shortening it to release the chapter faster-)

Rohan starts getting all protective and Abhi puts him in his place.

The plan works and Rohan reduces his fuckboyness. BUT OH NO, Abhi has developed feelings for Shanaya! Shruti realises and she hates Rohan (AS SHE FUCKING SHOULD-) so she starts conspiring to get Shanaya with Abhi.

FINALLY, we get to the premise of the film. The Student Of The Year Competition. First is the aptitude test. We then get Ratta Maar, which is every desi Gen-Z kid's exam anthem. Turns out, the ratta was not needed as the one with the top score was Jeet, who basically did Jai Mata Di.

Next was the treasure hunt. Rohan, Tanya, Shruti and Sudo were one team while Abhi, Shanaya, Jeet and some random background ki ladki were another team. The first answer for Team A was the Mona Lisa while for B was the pool (they have a pool in school-). Second was the Hymn book for A and the Dean's Bonsai for B. Third some chemistry shit and some Nehru book. Final was a filmy Amitabh reference from some movie. Basically, mandir ka ghanta bhajana hai. 

4 insignificant students get eliminated. Rohan comes over to Abhi's house and finds out that is aunt is a fucking bitch who keeps passing unnecessary remarks. They find out they are in similar situations. We get a happy heartful moment and then BAM daadhi bimar hogayi.

AND THEN THE ALMIGHTY ISHQ WALA LOVE. Everyone has heard it about a million times so I don't need to elaborate.

Classic deathbed moment except it's grandson-grandma not lovers.

Shanaya goes to Abhi's room to talk to him but finds the earring from the wedding. (shit I didn't mention the wedding-)

They kiss and BAM Rohan finds them. Gotta love the timing!

Abhi and Rohan start fighting. Rohan becomes possessive and starts talking about how Shanaya is his. (Just when I was feeling sorry for this asshole-)

Rohan goes home and gets into a fight with his dad. Finally calls his dad on his shit. Dad slaps him. Rohan leaves home. Dramatic posing.

Now it's time for the prom. Shanaya asks Jeet. Shruti then asks Abhi out of spite. Rohan gets jealous and then asks Tanya. Sudo and Dimpy having no one else, go with each other (atleast that's the story). THEN DISCO DEEWAANE. Which everyone knows the dance to. Queens Kajol and Farah Khan make cameos. Sudo and Shanaya get disqualified along with two random insignificant background characters.

Insert montage of Rohan, Shruti, Jeet and Abhi training.

Finally, the last round. I need to post this quickly so swimming, two background people are behind. Cycling, Shruti and Jeet are behind. Running, Abhi is about to win but seeing Mr. Nandasshole's joy at Rohan losing, he slows down to let Rohan win.

Awarding ceremony, Sudo goes on a drunk rant about how this competition was built to destroy relationships. These were friendships built in two years, ruined in two weeks.

Back in the present, Shanaya and SPOILER ALERT her husband Abhi reach the hospital. THESE TWO ASSHOLES START FIGHTING IN THE HOSPITAL FIELD! IN. A. FUCKING. HOSPITAL. ASSHOLES HAVEN'T FUCKING LEARNT. And they're fighting because Abhi let Rohan win. They then start fighting with their careers. Rohan lets out that he's been with almost 100 girls. They then make up. YAY! Woo hoo.

They then go talk to Dean who admits that Sudo was right. He was a lonely man. His last words are a flirty remark to Coach.

Then a random race for some reason. AND WE'RE DONE.

Overall, this is probably a movie you'd watch just randomly, not with any serious intent. But it also shows the growth in Alia's and Siddhart's acting. Varun is kind of still doing the same thing tho-