Ghoulish. // Chapter Two.

"Hey, Y/N." I heard Touka say. Her voice was distant, it seemed as though she were underwater. Or maybe I was the one underwater?

I sighed a bit and looked at the purple-haired girl, arching my brow a bit. "Yeah, T?"

"Are you okay? You've been spacing out lately." My eyes widened a bit.

It had been two days since I got the text from Kaneki saying he was going out with Rize, and I was nervous. He was going out with her today, and I feared for him.

It was after hours at the shop, so Touka and I were just sitting in the Cafe and drinking coffee with each other in silence, or, well, it was silent.

"I'm..." I hesitated for a moment before shaking my head and going back to making a cup of coffee for myself. "I'm fine." I gave her a weak smile.

"This about you're friend?" She tilted her head and took a sip of the coffee I'd made for her. "I see right through you, you know. You're unreadable for everyone but me."

I huffed a bit and shook my head, taking a sip of coffee.

"Okay. And if it is?" I whispered. "He's with Rize of all people, and I just- I can't help but be worried."

Touka sighed a bit and nodded slowly. "I'm sure he'll be fine. He doesn't seem the type to be naive and go along with her whims."

I laughed a bit. "I don't know. Ken is kind of..." I trailed off, trying to find my words. "He helps those in need if he can, and I have a feeling Rize is going to try and use that against him." I shrugged a little.

"N/N. Listen. I'm sure he'll be just fine." She tried to reassure me.

"If he gets eaten, I swear I'll kill her." I huffed and looked away.

"Sure, sure." Touka laughed at me.

The next morning, I woke up and got dressed into something fairly simple. It was a Monday morning and I wasn't all that fond of having to go to school at this time, but at least I'd see Kai and the others.

I sat at the counter on a barstool with Touka beside me. The two of us drank a cup of coffee that Koma made for each of us. This was a daily routine for the mornings that I had school.

Once it hit seven in the morning, Touka and I grabbed our bags and left Anteiku to head for school.

The two of us spent our walk in silence, thankfully, and soon enough we broke off from each other and headed our own ways.

I'd texted Kaneki before I went to sleep last night, but I never got a response. I knew that it wasn't a good sign, but I didn't want to bother him too much in case he was just tired.

When I got to Kamii, Kai and Hideyoshi were waiting for me at the gates, but there was no sign of Kaneki.

'Where the hell is he?' I thought. I looked at Kai and Hide with furrowed brows, silently questioning them.

"He hasn't shown." Kai said. Hide gave me a shy smile before patting my head and shaking it off.

"He's probably just late. Relax." He laughed a bit.

I sighed and nodded slowly. The three of us walked in and went to our buildings.

I sat through class after class, lecture after lecture, only for Kaneki to never show up.

I'd texted Touka and Irimi about it, but they both told me to just relax and wait. On my walk back to Anteiku after classes, I got a text from Hide.

I saw the notification and read it there before opening the message fully. 'Y/N. It's Kaneki.'

I gasped and quickly fumbled to open my messages, typing back in a hurry.