Change

The journey to the next location of the hostages was a long one. Your feet were on fire as you walked through the meadows. All was quiet., especially you as your mind was still on Itsuki.

The last fight didn't seem the same without them, but Giyuu seemed to be doing just fine. Without Itsuki's cool head, you were left to argue with the Hashira.

"You're oddly quiet? No sass today?" Giyuu asked and you quickly picked up your head. "I don't have anything to say." You looked at Giyuu, his eyes locking with yours.

For a second, you could read some kind of look of his face. It wasn't his usual annoyed expression, something behind his eyes gave off the impression that he was sad.

"Hm." Giyuu hummed and turned back to the front. You continued to walk a little bit behind him as you kept your hand on Itsuki's haori.

"We'll rest for the night here." Giyuu pointed to the small shack that was torn down. It stood alone in the middle of the meadows. The wooden fences and hay around the shack gave off the impression that it was once home to farm animals.

You looked beside you at the setting sun and the skin that was turning pink. You and Giyuu walked to the shack, placing your things down as you made yourself at home in the cramped space.

There wasn't much left in the shack. Only a shabby bed, a small dining table and clutter that littered the floor. "You take the bed." Giyuu pointed to the small bed that was in the corner of the room.

"You sure?" You asked as you headed towards the bed, setting down your blade against the wooden frame. "Yeah. I'll be awake for a bit. Just take it without bickering." He says down at the dining table and placed his blade down.

You laid down in the bed, your back immediately thanking you as you snuggled in on the moth eaten blankets. "Why all of a sudden do you seem to be a little less stubborn?" You turned in the bed to face him as he leaned his head against his hands.

"Just go to sleep. I can't bear to hear your voice for another second." He picked up his blade and stood up from the dining table. "Mhm that's what you say but before you said you weren't going to let me die on you. Sounds like something changed your heart." You teased as you turned on your other side and closed your eyes.

"Yeah right." He clicked his tongue and opened the broken door to the shack. "Nothing's changed." You heard him say quietly as he shut the door, leaving you alone in the empty shack.