Chapter X

I tore across the Mall following Percy, not once daring to look behind me. We burst into the Air and Space Museum and I dissolved the sunlight that was hiding my image, once I was through the admissions area.

The main part of the museum was one huge room with rockets and aeroplanes hanging from the ceiling. Three levels of balconies curled around, so you could look at the exhibits from all different heights. The place wasn't crowded, just a few families and a couple of tour groups of kids, probably doing one of those holiday school trips. I wanted to help them, to get them to safety. But there was no time. I had to find Thalia and Grover and the Hunters. Any minute, the skeleton dudes were going to invade the museum, and I didn't think they would settle for an audio tour.

Percy ran into Thalia—literally. He was barreling up the ramp to the top-floor balcony and slammed into her, knocking her into an Apollo space capsule.

Grover yelped in surprise.

Before he could regain his balance, Zoe and Bianca had arrows notched, aimed at his chest. Their bows had just appeared out of nowhere.

When Zoe realized who he was, she didn't seem anxious to lower her bow. "You! How dare you show thy face here? Where's Aelia? What have you done with her?"

"Percy!" Grover said. "Thank goodness."

Zoe glared at him, and he blushed. "I mean, um, gosh. You're not supposed to be here!"

I stepped out from around the corner. "I'm here, I'm fine. I was scouting the area and this idiot blew my cover," I said pointedly towards Percy.

"I'm sorry but it's Luke," Percy said, trying to catch his breath. "He's here."

The anger in Thalia's eyes immediately melted. She put her hand on her silver bracelet.

"Where?"

Percy told them about the Natural History Museum, Dr Thorn, Luke, and the General.

"The General is here?" Zoe looked stunned. "That is impossible! You lie."

"Why would I lie? Look, there's no time. Skeleton warriors—" Percy exclaimed

"What?" Thalia demanded. "How many?"

"Twelve," I said. "And that's not all. That guy, the General, he said he was sending something, a 'playmate,' to distract us. A monster."

Thalia and Grover exchanged looks.

"We were following Artemis's trail," I informed Percy. "I was pretty sure it led here. Some powerful monster scent... She must've stopped here looking for the mystery monster. But we haven't found anything yet."

"Zoe," Bianca said nervously, "if it is the General—"

"It cannot be!" Zoe snapped. "Percy must have seen an Iris message or some other illusion."

"Illusions don't crack marble floors," Percy told her.

Zoe took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. I didn't know why she was taking it so personally, or how she knew this General guy, but I figured now wasn't the time to ask. "If Percy is telling the truth about the skeleton warriors," she said, "we have no time to argue. They are the worst, the most horrible... We must leave now."

"Good idea," Percy said.

"I was not including thee, boy," Zoe said. "You are not part of this quest."

"Hey, I'm trying to save your lives!"

"You shouldn't have come, Percy," I said grimly. "This has messed things up."