Chapter 1

Emma shoved Hook into the nearest cell and shut the cell door as quickly as she could. Thoughts continued to run through her mind, blurring into a huge, tangled mess. She turned around and grabbed a chair, turning its back to face the cell, and sat down backwards on the chair.

She examined his expression, noting every detail. His eyes were wide, as if he was surprised and confused. He rubbed the end of his hook, making him seem as nervous as ever. Emma tried to collect her thoughts, but they began flying off from her brain, never to return. She closed her eyes and sighed heavily. They sat in silence for what felt like an eternity.

"So we meet again, Swan", Hook finally uttered, breaking the silence. "Though I didn't expect this being the way we met", he said, grabbing onto one of the bars with his hand. His words made him seem as though he was calm and collected. Emma just sat in silence, slowly developing a headache from all of the thinking.

"Aren't you going to say something, love? No? Am I going to have to do all of the talking?" The ever-present smirk on his face made her nervous. He always seemed as though he knew something that she didn't, and Emma certainly didn't want to feel as though Hook had the upper-hand in all of this.

"You've shot one of our civilians, and now you want me to talk. About what, exactly? What is there to talk about?"

Hook leaned against the bars of the cell, looking down at the ground and back up at Emma once again. "Maybe about where we left off?"

Emma sighed once again. Hook was making her grow tired. "Look, there's nothing to talk about. The only thing I know is that I'm glad that I chose to leave you at the top of that beanstalk. I knew I couldn't trust you." Emma stood up and walked over to the mini-fridge in her office, pulling out a bottle of water. Sitting back down, she took a long gulp of water before returning her gaze to Killian.

He remained silent, which only made her more nervous. "I hope you know who you're dealing with. Rumple is not someone who you want to cross paths with." Emma laid the bottle of water on her desk and began to pull her hair back, putting it up in a ponytail.

"Ahh, but you see, lass. You've only heard half of the story." Hook stood up straight once again and shifted his weight.

"Oh, is that so?" she said, letting her hands drop to her side. "Well, then. Why don't you tell me the other half? Try to justify all of this for me. Because right now, your case isn't looking good, Hook." She noticed his jaw clench as he lifted his eyes to her.

"I was with a woman," he started. "Milah was her name. At the time, she was…his…wife. Of course, he tells others that I stole her from him, but you see, that's not the case. She came to me. Willingly. She was tired of being married to the town coward. So, we drank together, laughed together. She was perfect and-" He cut himself off by clearing his throat. "He killed her. He crushed her heart right before my eyes and she died in my arms. I saw the look on his face and knew he didn't care for her at all. He only cared about power. And that was when I knew I had to avenge Milah." Killian looked back down at the ground and backed away from the cell door. "Believe me or not, Swan, that's what happened."

Emma chose not to speak, and Killian, noticing this began to speak for her.

"I know what you're thinking, lass. I saw that flicker in your eyes on the beanstalk. I know you've loved and lost, quite like I have." He allowed a moment of silence before he said, "Care to tell me your tale?"

Her brain wasn't sure that she was ready to tell him, but her heart quickly decided that he deserved to know. "Graham. I wouldn't call it love but…he died in my arms too." She decided to give him the short answer, hoping it was sufficient.

"I see." He sighed and looked up. "Emma, you have to believe me that I wouldn't do this to anyone who didn't deserve it. You believe me, don't you, Emma?"

She noticed that for the first time, he had finally used her first name. She thought everything over and over again, and when she looked at Killian, it was obvious that the silence was beginning to make him lose his patience.

"I wouldn't attempt to kill anyone if it wasn't for revenge! I wouldn't do this to just anyone! But a crocodile, the crocodile who killed Milah? Emma, it's been 300 years! Finally, it's done. It had to be done. Please, tell me you believe me." Hook looked emotionally drained as he stared at Emma, hoping that she would say something, anything. "You know", he said, lowering his voice close to a whisper, "sometimes I think that maybe death would be best for me. That way, I could see Milah."

Emma shut her eyes tight as to block out the pain. All the love that Hook had for Milah. It showed how much he truly cared. This love was something that Emma could relate to. It hit her right in the heart as she felt an uninvited tear slip down her cheek. She brushed it away as soon as it appeared. In ways, Hook was a lot like her. She had experienced the same pain he had felt, and the same feeling of wanting revenge. Losing someone you loved, she thought, surely develops hatred towards the wrong-doer. And after 300 years? She could hardly imagine how he had felt. Thinking about her, every single second of the day, only wishing for her. She could see why after all of this time, maybe he did want to die.

"Say something, Emma! Anything!" Hook shouted.

Jolted from her thoughts, Emma quickly uttered, "I believe you."