Chapter 2

Hook raised an eyebrow in surprise and smirked. "Ahh, I knew you would come to your senses, lass."

"Don't get too cocky, Hook", Emma said, giving him a look that portrayed the idea that she wasn't going to put up with his crap.

Killian suppressed a laugh. "I think you've forgotten who you're talking to, Swan."

Emma grinned as she shook her head, knowing what he had said was all too true.

"Well, so long as you believe me", he said, his voice changing tones, "I think that there's another step you have to take."

Emma cast him a sideways glance. "Oh, really? And what is that?" She wasn't sure what was going on in that brain of his. Who could ever know, but very rarely did anything comforting come from his thinking.

"Remember what we talked about at the top of the beanstalk, love? Trust?"

Emma wasn't quite sure where he was going with this, but she certainly didn't like it. "Yes…I'm familiar with that conversation. What about it?"

"You believe me, but now I think you should trust me. Show me you've made progress from the last time I saw you. So how about we have this conversation face to face? No jail cell bars in between us. Just you and me, love." He knew it was going to be quite a challenge for her. He loved challenges, though, and surely the sheriff of Storybrooke did as well.

"Are you meaning to tell me that I should let you out of that cell? Because I'm fairly certain I could get in a lot of trouble for pulling off something like that."

Killian smirked once again. "Ahh, but that's only if they catch you, lass. And trust me", he said, emphasizing the word. "As long as I'm here, I'll make sure that no one will."

The slight smile that could have ever been on her face was completely erased now. What would the town think of her, letting a man who had just attempted murder out of his cell? It was nonsense. "I can't do that."

Killian took a deep breath. "You know, Swan, I never pictured you as being a good girl…someone who followed the rules. But it looks like I was clearly mistaken."

"I'm not innocent, if that's what you mean, Hook." She stood up, feeling as if it would give her more control over the matter. She walked over to the bars and grabbed onto one of them with her hand. "Surely you understand."

"Surely you understand. I promise I won't run, I won't let anyone catch us. I won't let anything bad happen. And I don't break my promises, lass." He moved closer to Emma, the only thing keeping them from touching being the bars. "Live a little, Swan."

Emma hesitated, reaching for the key in her pocket. After much contemplation, she pulled it out. "I swear, if you try to pull any crap…" The lock clicked, and she pulled the cell door open.

He walked out slowly, clearly trying to dramatize his every move. "See? That wasn't so bad, was it, Swan?" he said, walking over to her desk. He leaned up against it and smirked. "I quite like this a lot better."

She laughed. "I'm sure you do." She walked over to the desk and situated herself next to him. "So, what exactly did you want to talk face to face about?" she asked.

He shifted so that he was facing her. "The past. Us. What you think about me. What do you think of me, love?"

She gave him a strange look. "What do you mean by that?"

"Do you see me as an enemy?" he asked.

"N-no", she said.

"You hesitated", he whispered. "That's what I thought." He let out a deep sigh. "You've seen a bad side of me, Emma. But surprisingly, I can be a good guy when I want to be."

"I understand that", she replied.

"Do you?" he questioned. With her seeming to think he was somewhat of an enemy, he found it difficult to believe her.

"I…think so", she murmured.

He reached out his hand and grabbed her chin, tilting her head so that she was looking at him. "I want you to fully trust me, Emma." he said, letting his hand relax at his side.

"Why do you care so much what I think about you?" she asked.

He looked down in disappointment. "I think he cares for you", he said, repeating Cora's words. "Do you remember that?"

Emma's eyes flashed with realization. "I do, but I thought-"

"Those words weren't far off, love", he said, looking back up at her.

Emma felt the heat rising to her cheeks. "You know, you keep saying that you want me to trust you. But how have you trusted me for so long…and after what I did?

Suddenly, Hook was closer to her, as if he had glided towards her without her noticing. "There's just something about you, Swan, that feels so…trustworthy", he whispered, just mere inches from her face.

She didn't know what to say. She was hypnotized by his blue eyes and the feeling of his breath fanning on her skin. Her heart was beating out of her chest, a feeling that she hadn't felt in a long time. Not since…Graham. It was as if all of the sudden, she felt herself loosen up and let go of any tension holding her back. He seemed to feel the same way. Before she could even comprehend, she let herself melt into him. His lips were on hers in a matter of seconds and they lingered there for quite some time. She didn't know how to feel. It was all so sudden and…unexpected.

He let out a deep breath and looked into her eyes. "You…you trust me."