Chapter 4

Emma walked into the sheriff's station, carefully placing her coffee cup on the desk and draping her coat around the back of her chair. She took a hair tie and pulled her hair up into a ponytail, and then looked up to see Killian in his jail cell, sitting on the end of the bed in the corner of his cell. "Good morning, love", he said with a yawn.

"Good morning. Get much sleep last night?" she asked, sitting down in her chair.

"Not much sleep that I can get in a jail cell", he said, standing up and stretching his arms over his head. "This bed isn't comfortable in the least."

"Well what did you expect?" Emma smiled.

He let his arms drop to his side. "Apparently too much."

She smiled up from the stacks of papers on her desk. They had continued to pile up, forming more and more stacks. Emma couldn't believe that she had let them get this way.

Killian walked towards the bars. "You plan on letting me out, lass?"

"Of course I do", she smiled. She walked over and quickly let him out. Walking over to her desk, she turned around and looked up into Killian's electric blue eyes and smiled.

He grabbed her by the waist and began to kiss her. Killian hadn't felt this way in forever. She was perfect to him.

Emma felt the same way. The only men who had ever been in her life had disappeared. She could only hope that it wouldn't happen again. Maybe that's why it took her a while to let him in. She was worried that he would steal her heart and run away with it.

Her thoughts were interrupted by bell's jingling on the front door as it was opened. Emma instinctively pushed Killan off of her. "That's weird, I wasn't expecting anyone", Emma said. She stood up and quickly pushed Killian back into his cell. As she locked the door, she saw Killian's eyes grow wide. Turning around, she saw the maniacal expression spread across Cora's face. It was as if someone had punched Emma in the stomach, because she totally lost control of her breathing. "I…"

"Hello, Swan", Cora said in her smooth voice, evil laced within her words.

"What do you think you're doing here?" Emma spat.

"Oh, that's not the way to greet a queen", she said.

Emma moved around to the other side of her desk. "Sorry to disappoint, but you're not a queen here."

Cora chuckled. It was discomforting, and Emma didn't like it in the least.

Killian decided to speak up. "Cora…we meet again."

Cora looked up from Emma. "Ahh, Hook. So we do meet again", she said, striding towards him.

"Why are you here?" he grunted. He knew Cora all too well, and he knew she wasn't here to say 'hello'.

Cora's gaze hardened. "You let the cricket go", she said. "And you chose HER." She briefly turned around and looked at Emma.

"I thought we had a mutual agreement to go separate ways", Killian said.

"I never said anything of the sorts", Cora said, getting as close as she could to him.

"It was implied", he said, backing away.

Cora stepped backwards and turned around to Emma. "And YOU."

Emma's eyes widened at this. What could she want from Emma?

"You took my daughter's son away from her", she said, getting closer to Emma.

Emma felt completely uncomfortable now. "I did what was best for him", she said.