Chapter Sixteen: The Truth In Two

Merlyn wasn't sure why they had gone for a ride but they had. Arthur had told his father that he was going on a hunt but then had failed to actually stop and hunt anything. Merlyn wasn't sure what was going on really - a reoccurring theme.

Last time they had been in these woods was only the day before and Merlyn still was unsure about it. She had been forced to accept what she had witnessed and then get on with her job. It wasn't until night fell and she lay in her bed staring at her stone ceiling that had a crack a little away from the right corner that she started going over events. Arthur had essentially gone against his father in the biggest of ways. He had allowed magic on the field of battle and then proceeded to protect the magic users. Merlyn honestly wasn't sure how to wrap her head around it all and what it meant. What did this mean about Arthur? What did this mean about magic? What did this mean for her? For them?

It was safe to say, Merlyn had been up all night and still as clueless as before the sun had set. But being lost in her thoughts had led to her being quiet. Something Arthur had definitely noticed.

Merlyn was once again lost in her thoughts as she fiddled on with a pebble in her hands that she had picked from the embankment beside the stream they had stopped at. Brutus and Major were happily drinking the fresh water whilst Merlyn sat upon the rocks, only for her to be joined by Arthur moments later. She could feel his gaze upon her. Pulling her eyes from the flowing waters, she looked towards Arthur and smiled. He looked concerned about her again.

"You've been quiet ever since the battle. What's going on?" His question was a loaded one.

"I well ..." Merlyn bit her lip as she debated internally over her next actions and questions. But with one look into Arthur's eyes she caved. "You let magic on the battlefield." At her words, Arthur took a deep breath. "And then you thanked sorcerers before allowing them to leave with words of wisdom. Demanding my silence..."

"I did."

"Why?" Arthur shifted in his position unsure of how to go about answering such a question. Merlyn could practically see the cogs turning in Arthur's head as he tried to come up with a solution. Eventually the prince turned to look at Merlyn and began talking.

"I don't wholly believe magic makes you evil." Merlyn gasped at his words. For Arthur to openly admit that was surprising to Merlyn and yet not surprising. Merlyn's mind raced over the years together, back to the moments she had thought of with hope when he had helped the Druids, when he had accepted Morgause (before she showed her true colours), when he had accepted her as a Dragonlord. There were so many small moments that Merlyn had stupidly never put together, or perhaps she had feared putting together.

"For a while I've questioned my father's views. What if magic is not the evil? What if the person is the evil part?" Arthur continued carefully, bringing Merlyn out of her thoughts. Hearing his words, Merlyn found herself agreeing and openly showing her true views.

"Magic is but a weapon, a neutral thing. It's how one uses it that determines whether it is for good or evil, for defence or attack." Arthur smiled at her reaction,

"Exactly" Arthur said before he fell silent and began fidgeting with his fingers. A frown moved across his face. There was something concerning him. Merlyn tilted her head as she observed Arthur closely. He was debating something, going over how to carefully tell her something. And her heart thudded loudly at the what he had to tell her.

"However, I haven't really got any evidence to show for that thought. I've not had many experiences with good sorcerers. And if I want to change anything I need proof that things should be changed" Arthur admitted which floored Merlyn. Arthur was talking about changing things. Changing what? Laws? Merlyn was just beginning to see how much Arthur was against his father on this. Merlyn stayed quiet as she heard him continue. "For example, I knew that battle was going to cost everything so when the sorceress, Emrys, stood there, willing to put everything on the line for my kingdom, for her home ... I had to give them a chance." His words gave Merlyn more hope that she dared to have in the past. Could it be possible for her to tell him the truth? He wished for examples of good magic. Could she be one? The only thing that faltered her thoughts was the idea that Arthur only believed he would change things but actually being faced with changing it would cause him to retreat - could his reaction be more words than action?