Chapter 2

The sun was starting to rise. You sat at the kitchen table sipping a cup of coffee. Your mom walked in, now showered and dressed, and sat next to you. When you showered, you put on another pair of pajamas instead. You had spent the last three hours watching your mom exorcise the demon and then take the man’s dead body and salt and burn it in a field. She said it was to put the spirit to rest.

“So mom, can you please elaborate more on what we just did?” You looked at her, your (e/c) eyes showing the determination you felt. You needed answers.

“Well sweetie,” she sat in a chair next to you. “Your father’s job is hunting these things. Demons, vampires, werewolves, shape shifters; You name it, he hunts it. That’s why he’s never home. He’s out saving other people from the terrors of the night. I’m so sorry that I didn’t tell you how much of a hero he is until now. I just wanted to keep you out of it. It’s safest that way.”

“Did you tell him that I know?” You asked.

“Yes. I told him the situation and that I had to tell you. He understood, but he wants us to come see him. He needs to teach you a few things that will help prepare you for when things like that come breaking in again. You’ll be an adult soon and need to know how to take care of yourself and others.” She stood up. “You better get packing! We’re leaving as soon as possible. I don’t know how long we’ll be gone, but I might end up leaving you  with him sometimes to come back here. I’d pack for a while.”

With that, she went upstairs. You stood up, taking your coffee with you. You were handling everything pretty well. You had a vivid imagination, so none of this was too hard to believe. You always had a suspicion in your heart about things that were out of the ordinary.

You took out your (favorite brand) duffle bag and started putting clothes in it. Your wardrobe consisted mostly of jeans and (favorite style of) shirts. You decided you better pick one outfit to actually wear before packing them all. It was mid January, so it was cold! You decided to go with some black jeans, a (f/c) plaid button down, and you’re (favorite shoes).

You grabbed your duffle’s matching backpack to put some toiletries and one pair of clothes in. This was for emergencies or if you spent a single night in one place. You threw in your phone and laptop in it’s sleeve and carried your stuff downstairs. You were met with your mother heading out the door with her own bags in hand. You put on your black leather jacket and some black gloves to help keep out the cold.

You threw your bags in the trunk of the ’67 Ford Mustang and climbed in the passenger seat. With that, you and your mother drove off to see your father. You thought it’d be different because you now knew more about him. Either way, you were still excited to know that your dad was such a hero and he was about to teach you his ways.