Introduction

"Did you have anything to do with the murder of Bruno Cassidy?"
"No."
"Do you know who might have done it?"
"No."
"You seem so sure of everything."
"Of course I am. I have nothing to hide."

Jessie laid back in her seat, the one across from the interrogator, and smirked.

"I didn't do it," she said.
"Are you sure about that, Miss Darling?" the interrogator asked.
"Don't call me that."
"Will you tell us about your father, Miss Darling?"
"My father," Jessie scoffed, "My father's dead."
"Do we need to open a new murder case?"
"No, I mean— I mean he's dead to me."

Jessie Darling had nothing in common with her family name. In fact, she wanted to change it to her mother's, Fransisco. "Darling" is the term you'd use for someone dainty, someone delicate. She was not a darling, she was daring. She didn't want to be a darling, just like she didn't want to wear makeup, skirts, or dresses. And she looked daring. Her blazing red hair was tied up in a ponytail at all times, and freckles spread across her face. She had plump beige lips, and a button nose that accentuated her face. If she tried, she could look like a darling. But she didn't. With her loose jeans and her baggy and striped polo, she looked laid back and cocky. Which she was, actually, and that's exactly what Bruno Cassidy thought about her.