Chapter Thirteen

"Jaewon? You think he's the mole?" the incredulity in Jiyong's voice told her that her claim was ridiculous; not that she needed any confirmation. Glancing at the clock, Lisa noted that there was around an hour and a half until they were expected to assemble, to leave for the assignment. Her margins were fine; once she got her hands on the key card, she had around twenty minutes to grab her disguise, convene with Jaewon to co-ordinate timings, and then, the most nerve-wracking part, actually go and steal the necklace, stash it away safely. It was proof of how little a threat Jiyong considered her, that the card in question was casually jammed into a slightly open drawer, well within her sights, the end of the lanyard dangling out. Her own card, which provided decidedly less access around the building, was tucked up into her long sleeve, braced for the switch. Now all she had to do was get him to turn around...

"I feel like it makes the most sense. Why would he suddenly join us? He was doing absolutely fine where he was before, it's not like coming here's drastically changed his life. Out of all of us, he's been here the shortest amount of time, and there's certainly no guarantee of where his loyalties lie." The lie, she realised, was frighteningly close to something resembling the truth—no matter how much she valued his help, she couldn't ignore just how slippery his character was, ultimately.

"So you want to check his file to try and see if there are any possible links to Mr J?" Lisa nodded, gaze steady. It was common knowledge that information was carefully collected and compiled about every individual within the organisation, detailed background and training information stored about them all. Most of the higher-ups, Jiyong included, usually kept written copies with them; the filling cabinet, placed conveniently away from the desk and the door was her current target. She would have a few seconds, while he was distracted, trying to find the file, when she would be able to make the switch.

"I know it's classified, but it's not like I have any vested interested in spreading whatever's in there. I just want to doublecheck."

Jiyong smirked at that, tipping back on his chair. "I find that hard to believe. If I recall correctly, Jennie and Chaeyoung of the same rank as you couldn't stop chattering about finding you in a rather intimate situation with the man in question." Internally cursing the two girls for spreading rumours, and herself for not double-checking her door locks, Lisa set her jaw firmly, placing both hands on the desk to try and get her point across.

"Look, that's irrelevant right now. I've just been having suspicions lately—and you know what? Yeah, I am interested for personal reasons," fabricating the truth a little was necessary, she thought, as the clock ticked slowly behind her mentor. "If he's not who he says he is, I'd prefer to know now, rather than later." She paced around the desk, positioning herself within inches of the open drawer. "Jiyong, I just want to double-check."

He considered, tapping his hands on the side of his chair, before standing up languidly. "OK, you can take a quick look, but I want this back by this time tomorrow."

Lisa grinned. "You're the best." she laughed as he flipped her off, but still made his way to the cabinet, running his finger down until he found the right drawer, frowning slightly—back towards her. Time to strike.

Casually hovering her hand over the desk, she snagged the cord attached to the card, pulling it up slowly—once the card came up, she slipped it up her sleeve, sliding the other one down, leaving hers in its place. Looking back at him quickly, as he turned back to look at her, she clutched onto the end of her sleeve, every part of her thrumming in nervousness as he rifled around in the cabinet a bit longer before finding the file, passing it down to her. She grabbed it with her free hand, clutching it against her chest—surprised by how heavy it was. If it wasn't a complete invasion of privacy, she would have no qualms in rifling through it, to figure out what exactly was going on with Jaewon, the intrigue of the situation enticing.