Chapter 33

Freya

Her head sinks into her hands as she gulps back another rising sob. I'm sorry I failed you Nimue. Please forgive me. It wasn't my fault. She knows Nimue can't hear her, but she continues anyway. The bubble just opened, and I swear I had nothing to do with it, and I was so weak and tired... In her mind, she throws herself at her sister's feet. Please forgive me Nimue! She cries, her hands thrown up and pleading at her sister.

It's not your fault. The voice that appears in her head is not Nimue's gentle, soothing one, the one Arian always affectionately said was honey-sweet, natural and satisfying, but not overpoweringly sweet. Instead, it's a blunt, deeper voice, rather rough around the edges. She puzzles through her mental categorization for familiar voices, and draws up Delphine. Why is the old lady speaking in her head? She waits for more.

Elemental bubbles, Freya, she breathes, almost as if they're back in the forest and just doing another ordinary lesson. Elemental bubbles don't just open, child. These things have to be opened.

By who? Freya wonders silently, and for the first time in the world's history, Delphine doesn't stop to correct her 'who' to 'whom.'

Why, think, Freya. There was only one person who closed the bubble. And there's only one person who can open it.

Freya thinks hard on this for a couple of moments, but the answer flies right to her and hits her smack in the face. Nimue?!

She can feel her teacher's approval inside her, and a warm feeling lights her up. Oh thank goodness, now Nimue can't be as mad at her. Right?

If Nimue wanted him out of the bubble, then he's out for a reason, her teacher counsels her. Freya has to digest this knowledge.

"Okay," she whispers aloud, though there is no point. Now all she can do is sit back on her heels and wait. Somehow that seems harder than braving a forest and La Esperanta.