Meanwhile...

''There she is, folks! The infamous magical girl heroine, Starshine, is at it again saving some children from a burning schoolhouse! Ah, Isn't she just amazing?'' The lady on the news reported as it had shown live footage of a nearby witness who was recording. 

Nagisa, a short high school boy, was sitting in front of the tv that the news was being showcased on. ''Damn, Starshine really is getting famous, huh?'' Arcadia, Nagisa's older sister, said coming to the living room. ''Yeah...'' Nagisa replied to her, stoically. ''I wonder who she is...'' Arcadia wandered off in thought. ''Isn't it obvious?'' Nagisa raised an eyebrow as if to say 'you're so oblivious.

 ''Actually, no it's not obvious. Especially given that Starshine has to keep her identity a secret so she can protect her family and friends!'' Arcadia explained as Nagisa sighed, got up from his seat and stood next to his sister, simply replying with, ''But Starshine is Kotoko-chan, from my school.''. Arcadia looked blankly at her little brother in confusion as she stuttered due to her surprise, ''Um... Explain?'', ''First off, Kotoko-chan and Starshine both have sailor-like uniforms as casual everyday wear. Second, They both have the exact same face shape, eye colour and blue space buns. Third and finally, Right before Starshine shows up somewhere to save someone during school time, Kotoko-chan usually rushes out, making up all kinds of weird and dumb excuses. It's so cliche and obvious!'' Nagisa finished as Arcadia widened her eyes.

''And... you uh know this... how?'' Arcadia, still surprised, stuttered out. ''Because we're in the same class? And she might be in the girls' bathroom while I'm in the boys but she screams her 'transformation' like her life depends on it.'' Nagisa's originally stoic expression turned into a comedic side-eye as he walks out of the room, leaving his sister speechless. 

The next day, Nagisa was seated just behind Mimi Kotoko in class. The teacher, Sakino-sensei, put on an educational video on YouTube. Suddenly, an emergency news channel hijacked all video platforms, including their class's screen. 

''Incoming alert to all video platforms in the local area! The Tokyo-National Train Station was attacked and raided by some brutal criminals and the local hero, Starshine, is nowhere to be seen! Some wonders if she was one of these criminals, thus conspiracies continue to spread in Tokyo, Japan. This has been your incoming news, My name is Mei Hatsuki, Signing off.''

Nagisa noticed the shift in behaviour in Mimi Kotoko as she swiftly raised her hand after the video and asked Sukino-sensei, ''Sensei! May I go to the bathroom, please?'', ''Of course, Kotoko-chan.'' Our Sensei replied. As usual, Kotoko-chan runs out of the class to the 'bathroom'. 

An hour later, half an hour into the third lesson of the day, There come's another emergency news alert. Believe it or not, this was a typical Monday. 

''Mei Hatsuki, signing back in for an emergency update. Earlier today, a group of brutal criminals attacked the Tokyo Train Station but our favourite magical girl superhero, Starshine, has saved the day by miraculously catching the group and bringing justice once again to our city! As we sit here wondering who she is, we sit safely as our hero will be dubbed an official authority figure this time next week! But before then, This is Mei Hatsuki, Signing off.''

And she's done it again! Girl gets bit by a radioactive butterfly once and she becomes a magical superhero given proper authority for the crime world of this godforsaken city.

''Sorry, Sensei! I had an unexpected doctor's appointment!'' Kotoko-chan says as she rushes into class and sits in her seat. ''That's okay, Kotoko. Just sit down and copy what's on the screen, please.'' Our Sensei says, sounding annoyed at Kotoko-chan's absence. 

About two days later, Nagisa's class was going on a school trip to a beach as a reward since they had top marks in last month's testing. 

There was noticeable smoke from in the middle of the nearby town. After a few minutes of people noticing it, the whole class crowded. Nagisa noticed from the corner of his eye, none other than Kotoko-chan, sneaking away from the crowd. Nagisa decided to follow her and was led to the changing huts, which were made of the thinnest materials on this planet.

''Shining Stars!'' Kotoko-chan was heard yelling, and somehow none of the other huts or people passing by heard her, as usual. Nagisa ran behind the hut, as he sees how Mimi Kotoko went in, and the famous Starshine came out and ran towards the smoke in town.

Nagisa sighs and says to himself, ''Here we go again...'' as he joins his class again, annoyed.

Seconds after the smoke stops and hundreds of cheers were heard in the area, Kotoko-chan runs back to the group and makes up the excuse that she was 'in the bathroom' when it happened.

Finally, A sunny Monday morning in the middle of Tokyo. Arcadia drove herself and Nagisa to the surrounding area where people were gathered around a large stage-like platform. There was a mic and a man in a suit as he said multiple professional business stuff that Nagisa didn't quite understand.  

''Ooh! It's starting soon!'' Arcadia exclaimed, excited for the Starshine's authority announcement. ''I don't get it. Didn't she just come out of nowhere one day and like a month later, everybody adores her?'' Nagisa couldn't help but blurt out his annoyance to his sister, who adored Starshine as much as anyone else in this city. 

''Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome to Starshine's transition into the world of  Authority and Protection!'' The suit guy said. 

After all the excitement and people getting overjoyed at this stupidity, There came a QnA session. It isn't until Arcadia asked a question that sparked Nagisa's attention. ''Would it be bad if someone were to reveal your identity?''. Starshine was startled by this question. ''Well, Thinking about it... It shouldn't really matter if people knew me more personally. It defiantly wouldn't be troublesome...'' She started. ''To answer your question, No! It wouldn't be bad!'' She continued. 

Nagisa felt an adrenaline rush that he'd never felt before. He darted for the platform and held the mic. ''If that's the case then you should know that Starshine is high schooler Mimi Kotoko!'' he exclaimed through the mic as everyone widened both their eyes and mouths as Starshine stared at Nagisa with nothing but offence in her eyes. ''But... How did you know?!'' She squealed in response to the current event. ''It's so obvious! You scream your transformation no matter where you are, You look identical to Kotoko-chan and whenever you show up somewhere, Kotoko-chan leaves moments before!'' Nagisa ranted. ''Come on! It's so obvious! How is everybody so oblivious?! She doesn't even have a mask!'' Nagisa continued to rant. 

Nobody said much of anything as the Suit guy took the mic and wrapped things up. Everybody went home and people made more and more conspiracies about Nagisa's intervention and Starshine's identity. 

After a few weeks, Starshine kept helping out but Mimi Kotoko was a lot more distant and quiet. Especially with all the new news reporters at her door 24/7. Nagisa had grown to feel bad, as people gave him angry stares on the street and whenever he saw Kotoko, she never made eye contact with him. So, he decided to visit her one day.

He arrived at her door which wasn't filled with News people for once. He knocked. She opened. ''Hey, Kotoko-chan... I'm sorry about revealing your identity like that. I've just been so annoyed this past year at how oblivious people are! There really is no good explanation for it...'' Nagisa trailed off in thought. ''It's okay. At first, I was mad at how oblivious people were too. But honestly, It's just luck for someone like me.'' Kotoko said. She didn't seem at all annoyed. ''Honestly, I thought you and the whole city would hate me after the stunt I pulled,'' Nagisa admitted. ''Well, I did say it wouldn't be bad if people knew so it was kinda my fault in a way!'' Kotoko reassured. 

The two talked for hours until it was finally time to say goodbye. The two actually kind of became friends... 

And that, my dear readers...

...is how the background character exposed and befriended the magical anime girl.