You Always Hurt The One You Love - Ruby Lane

TW for murder/violence/suicide

Idk I just found Ruby Lane interesting so I thought I'd write a drabble (am i using that word right probably not) about how she got possessed

Beginning of this is like painfully edgy sorry

This one-shot is set in the 60s and I have no idea how people in the 60s talked but I tried to make it seem like that time period

k enough rambling sorry

____________________________________________________

I told her I didn't want to go that night.

I told her, but she didn't listen.

And now, I'm a prisoner. More specifically, his prisoner.

Although, to be fair, even if I hadn't gone that night, I still would've been screwed. The moment our names are etched into that stone, we stopped belonging to ourselves.

But if she hadn't dragged me to that party, then at least she could've been saved. They all could have been.

It's not like dwelling on it is going to fix anything. I can cry all I want, nothing changes. But no matter how much I remind myself that reliving that night is stupid and pointless and won't change a thing, I still find myself doing it.

___________________________________________________

Shadyside, February Of 1965.

"I'm just saying, it'll only be two hours," Kathleen says for the hundredth time as she slips the slate-blue blouse over her head.

"Kath!" I gasp. "Have some decency! Change in the bathroom or something!"

"What? Don't sound so scandalized, you've seen me naked like six hundred times."

"But- this is different! My parents are home, my Mom could walk in or something-"

"Then close the door," Kathleen suggests, shrugging off my worries as she had a habit of doing sometimes. I restrain a glare as I get up to shut the door. The movement brings a sharp jab to my head, and I clutch it in pain.

"Shit..." I mutter underneath my breath, but apparently not quietly enough, as Kathleen drops the ribbons she's holding.

"Did you just curse?" She grins.

My cheeks redden. "No, I-"

"Ladies and Gentlemen, a round of applause. Ruby Victoria Lane just cursed! Wait till Devon hears!"

I toss a pillow at her jokingly. "Oh, stop. My head was just hurting again and it took me by surprise, that's all. Hence the reason I'm not going to tonight's party!"

"Come on, Ruby. It's just a headache, isn't it?"

"No... I think it's different. I haven't really... felt like myself all day."

"Then a party is the best thing to lift your spirits," Kathleen picks up the ribbons she'd dropped to the ground and laces a baby blue one into my dark hair. "Please, will you come? You know we love you. It won't be the same without you."

I force a smile. "Thank you. But I don't think I'll have the energy to be that social tonight."

"I'm sure once you see Charles you will." She teases.

My eyes widen. "He's coming?"

"Duh. Everyone likes him, too. And, aw, look, you're blushing again."

"Shush," I retort, but my cheeks redden again at the mention of my sort-of boyfriend. It feels like it's too early to really call him my boyfriend, since we've been on like three dates. But said dates have gone well and my parents seem to like him, my mom in particular. They say that if the parents are impressed, it's meant to be.