The Abandoned Empress - Chapter 27

“Well, I thought you were going to leave with Duke Verita. As he is going there to oversee the relief work, I thought he would keep moving without any dwelling. ”

“You’re right. I’m afraid I won’t be able to send messages until I come back. ”

“… I see.” I replied feebly. Suddenly, I felt empty. My father, Alendis, my family knights.

I knew I couldn’t live around them forever, but I was separated from them much earlier than I thought. I kept feeling depressed.

Did he notice my gloomy feelings? Or was he depressed like me? There was silence between me, unwilling to open my mouth, and him, who was just eating silently.

“Aristia.”

“Huh?”

When he broke the silence finally, I also stopped indulging in idle thought. It was already dessert time. Many people ate dessert to refresh their mouths with sweetness after mainly meat-based meals with spices and sauces. Because sugar is expensive, it is mainly enjoyed by nobles and wealthy commoners, and top nobles prefer cakes, pies, chocolates and sherbets.

When I cut a piece of cake white like snow and put it in my mouth, I felt a bit better because of the sweetness spreading through my mouth.

“Do you feel better?”

“Oh, sorry, Allendis. I think I was discourteous to you even thoughI invited you for dinner.”

“No, it’s not a big deal between you and me.”

He replied gently and stood up after wiping his mouth with a napkin. I grabbed his hand and walked to the front door of the mansion.

“Thank you for the invitation. I want to spend some more time here, but my schedule is tight. Sorry.”

“It’s alright. Be careful, Allendis. ”

“Sure, I will try to contact you often.”

“You said it would not be easy, so don’t overwork yourself.”

Allendis looked at me quietly and pulled me into his arms, “I do really feel bad as I have to leave you behind. I feel like kidnapping you.”

“Oh, Allendis?”

“You should not become friends with other guys while I’m away, okay? Be careful about the crown prince in particular. Got it?”

“… ”

“Take care then. Hope you can keep well while I’m away, my lady. ”

He briefly kissed my forehead. I saw his light-green hair gradually fading away before disappearing in the dark.

“Your Highness!”

“… ”

“Please get up, Your Highness!”

I opened my eyes when someone shook me gently. I saw my father looking down at me with a resolute expression. I tilted my head a bit as his uniform looked different from when he went to the Imperial Palace. What happened to him?

“Please listen carefully, Your Highness.”

“…. ”

“Because of some urgent matters I have to go to the border area for some time. Please wait a little longer. When I get back, I will take you home. ”

I opened my eyes because I already heard what he was saying before. What the heck is he talking about now? Only then did I see correctly who I was now. It’s not me who just observed my 12-year-old birthday, but I was a 17-year-old girl who was going half crazy.