02. killing isn't murder

ENTERING THE INFIRMARY, I huffed, noticing the lacking presence of Nurse Lane

ENTERING THE INFIRMARY, I huffed, noticing the lacking presence of Nurse Lane. "Nurse Lane! Hello!" I shouted, closing the door behind me. "I need some help, Nurse Lane! Think I'm gonna die any minute." I joked, sighing.

Still not hearing anything, my eyebrows knit together. "Nurse Lane? Nurse Lane?" I repeated, looking around the older woman's cabin. I walked into her small office, walking over to the desk and seeing a odd looking book on top of it.

My curiosity took the best of me, as I quickly took a peek of it, staring at an interesting picture on the opened page.

"What are you doing?" A low voice said, startling me. I whipped around, my eyes going wide from surprise. "Nurse Lane," I let out a faint laugh, resting my hand on my heart. "Don't scare me like that." I inhaled. "Are you ok?"

"I am. Oh my goodness, Cami, Cami, Cami. What did we do now?" The older woman smiled at me, lightly gripping my arm to examine the burn.

Beginning to take care of the minor injury, Nurse Lane sighed. "Ok, so you are going to apply this once a day for three days. Alright? it's gonna protect against infection." The older woman explained, while I cringed at the feeling of it on my arm.

"It feels weird."

"You'll survive." Nurse Lane scoffed. "So, um. What's the witch's mark?" I wondered with curiosity. Nurse Lane peered her eyes up at me, wondering what possible reverie I was bubbling up in my head.

She sighed, adjusting her body as she turned to face me. "You know my daughter, right? Ruby Lane?" Nurse Lane wondered, almost as if it was a trick question. Of course, I knew Ruby. She used to go to my high school. She was the popular stoner people hated, but the boy's loved. She always ignored me, but it's not like I tried talking to her, either. We were just school mates.

I sort of felt bad for the woman, not truly knowing what to say about that. "I didn't really get to know her much—"

"Of course, you do. Everyone talks, I know. Tell me, what do they say?" She asks me, making a frown caress my features.

"I- I don't really know much. I've just heard things about her..." I pause, before continuing. "Killing people. At a party, seven people, seven friends. But those could be stories, of course." I explained, trying to sound somewhat reassuring.

"Yup. She killed herself that night too, so eight."  Nurse Lane said nonchalantly, making a chill run down my spine. "Ruby was such a sweet girl. Oh, and she had a sweet voice. She was in choir. She wanted to be a singer."

"I was so proud of her, so proud." Nurse lane smiled at the thought of her daughter, grabbing a bandage wrap for my arm, slowly applying it. "The doctors say it was a psychotic episode, that she just snapped." Nurse Lane explained, wrapping the arm around my arm, while it progressively got tighter and tighter.