Untitled Part 1 (1)

When I was child things were so much different.  We had routines that didn't change.  At 11:00 pm the last news broadcast of the day was aired.  Then there was Johnny Carson. And at 12:00 midnight you could count on the broadcasters to sign off.  The National Anthem was played as Old Glory waved across the screen.  That was it.  The tv had been silenced.  There were no Walmart or convenience stores open to go to. No internet. Absolutely nothing to do. So, you did the only thing left to do.  You went to bed and went to sleep. 

Today is much different.  As humans we seem to know more now than we have ever known.  We are bombarded by information.  It screams at us. We see it, we hear it, we do it.  We research it. We try to keep up with it.   It plays with our minds.  It dictates our choices and our actions.  It can be good, or it can be bad which affects our emotions often causing us to search out more information.  It is never ending.  It is overwhelming.  You start to feel like the hamster running on a wheel. Running and running and running but never getting to the finish line.  All of this may have made us smarter, but Im not sure about better. 

One of my favorite places to slow down and take stock of my life is in Captiva, Florida.  We are up before dawn, fishing gear ready, loading in the boat and heading across the back bay to see what treasures we will find that day.  No sound but the water lapping against the boat. Then the magic begins, slowly at first.  The sun begins to rise over the horizon casting its rays through the clouds painting them with breathtaking beauty. Just when you feel you are engulfed in the moment you begin to hear it.  It is a chorus of nature singing without words.  Just sound.  It begins softly rising to a crescendo.  The sound of the earth crying out to welcome a new day.  Its as if every fiber of nature is singing praises to the creator for giving us a new day.  My soul silently sings along.  Then I am reminded to "Be still (quiet) and know (recognize) that I am God." Psalm 46:10.  It's in the quiet that we know.