Chapter 5

No doubt there are thousands of people all over the country in hysterics right now; mothers and fathers holding their children close in fear from this new threat among our midst. To lose your power would be to lose everything that made you who you are! Some people are so extreme as to declare that they would rather die than live gift-less.

My eyes were wide and held just a hint of fear as I leaned forward on the edge of my seat, hanging onto every word the reporter said. 

“Unfortunately, experts are unable to tell just how much of this toxin has been produced and how far it has spread around the country, but we are able to say that everyone is at risk. We advise you to take extra care in public and to alert the police instantly if you feel you may have a link to its source.”

I swallowed and leaned back, setting my Chinese on the sofa next to me and running a hand through my hair. So now there’s a ‘vaccine’ circulating round England, who knows who could have it and where it could be.

The reporter kept talking about the risks and how the toxin works, but I tuned out and instead pulled out my phone.

To CHRIS:

have you seen the news?

To DAN:

The new ‘vaccine’? Fucking hell, they’re getting stronger everyday

To CHRIS:

I guess we all need to be careful now

To DAN:

Yeah… please take extra care with Phil mate

I rolled my eyes at his text and chucked my phone on the cushion, feeling slightly irritated. Why couldn’t they trust me in my choices to be friends with him? Were they jealous that I found a potential new best-friend? I mentally shook myself at that last question and sighed. Chris and PJ wouldn’t be jealous, they were my friends and we would always stick together.

I listened to the woman as she delivered her same old ending speech. They televise it every day now, seeing as the threat from the FPP has slowly been getting stronger.

“…and I would just like to remind you to take care when talking to strangers, friends or family. Anyone could be a member of this dangerous organisation and it’s up to you to know who to trust. This is the BBC news and I’m Nicole Green, saying goodnight.”

I flicked the TV off and picked up my Chinese, walking to the kitchen and throwing it away. Then I poured myself a glass of water and went to my bedroom, scooping up my laptop on my way. After I’d got ready for bed and changed into some sweatpants, I clambered into bed and pulled the duvet up to my chest. It wasn’t too cool and it wasn’t too hot- the perfect temperature.

I thought about what the FPP would be able to do with this new toxin they’d developed. With this, that meant they were able to blackmail any high-ranking gifted personal in the government or render any of the most powerful people useless. People with strong gifts would be targeted first. What if I was targeted…?

No, I have to be rational, no one really knows about my power anyway. Well apart from Chris and PJ and Phil now, but I’m sure they won’t tell anyone. Anyway, they said on the news that they didn’t even know how much of this stuff they’d produced! They might only have a tiny test tube full of it, and in that case I doubt they’d waste it on me. Go get the Queen or something.

My mind kept chasing round in circles as it usually does at this time of night and so in an effort to stop it, I plugged myself into Tumblr and Twitter, scrolling through endless gifs and 140 character statements. Time flew by and then before I knew it, it was 3am and my eyes were closing.