Chapter 2 On Board the Black Pearl

Chapter 2

On Board the Black Pearl

Floating about the seas I sat enclosed in a wooden chest, holding in my hand the map leading to the Aztec gold. Davy Jones explained to me what I must do to prove myself. He wanted me to lead the pirates of the Black Pearl to the gold so they would receive this deadly curse. If I succeed then I would prove myself worthy. This should not be difficult for me. After all Captain Barbossa, my father, gave me to Davy Jones so he could be captain, so to me, this will be payback.

I felt the chest being lifted up. Remaining crouched inside, I tried my best not to make a sound. As I went back down, I experienced a bump hitting the floor of whatever ship this is. I hope it is the Black Pearl.

“A chest!” I heard a voice exclaim. “What’d you suppose is inside, treasure?”

“It better be treasure,” Another voice chimed in. “After the chest of rotten vegetables we picked up last time no one takes us seriously anymore.”

I heard a light thump followed by someone scrambling around.

“Damn, I dropped my eye again,” who I suspected to be the scrambling one groaned.

“You’re always losing that thing. Can’t you find a way to keep it in?” The other one demanded in exasperation.

“Maybe there’s a better eye in that chest, you think?”

“I don’t think there’s another eye for you in the chest!”

I huffed impatiently. Will they ever open this damn thing?

“What’d think is inside? I hope nothing bad.”

“How bout we open it and see for ourselves. What could be bad, besides those vegetables?”

Finally, the lid lifted and above me stood two men, one tall with a wooden eye, the other shorter with a straggly beard. They both gawked down at me.

“Say, Pintel,” the wooden eyed man said. “It’s a little girl.”

The other pirates gathered around to see. With caution, I climbed out of the chest, still grasping the map.

“Whatcha doing in there?” Pintel asked me.

“I ran away,” I answered quietly. “Where is the captain?”

“What would a little girl want with the captain of the Black Pearl,” a tall dark pirate demanded.

“That’s between me and him,” I stated firmly. “Will you just get him for me?”

Several of the crew laughed, while the one stated. “Alright, I’ll get him for ya. We’ll see what Captain Barbossa has to say bout this one.”