Prologue

Light footsteps sounded through the darkness that swallowed everything it touched. The rustle of a strong wind cutting through the brush echoed like a sad song. Night drifted wearily in the sky, a sliver of the moon staring down on the world. Shouts of men banished the hypnotic silence that infested the land.

Heavy breaths were accompanied by a pounding heart and rapid nimble steps. Aaron glanced back several times over his halfway-opened leather knapsack. Curses were thrown fiercely at him. The mob behind him was screaming his name in a blind rage. Torchlight flickered behind him.

Aaron's mind was racing faster than his feet. His head was pounding and his lungs felt like they were about to burst. He turned his focus back to his escape route. If he could just get further into the forest he could slip away. Suddenly, Aaron's foot caught on a tree root and twisted with a sickening crack. His focus was broken as he crumpled to the ground, blood starting to seep through his pants from his knees. "You've got to be kidding me!" Aaron shouted in his head as he clenched his teeth in pain. He quickly regained his footing and realized the chase was drawing to an end.

His pursuers' voices were growing louder every second. Aaron had meant to save it for a later date, but his time had run out. Pulling out a pearly white mask from his knapsack, he quickly applied it to his sweating face. Its power was his last hope.

The mob saw nothing more than swaying trees of the forest. The creaking trees that would lead them deeper into the woods through the dim starlight. Their only clue as to where Aaron might have disappeared off to was the small splotches of fresh blood that rested on dried leaves by the tree trunk.

An older man spat on the ground and threw his curses around like a sailor with a toothache. Others joined him and began mumbling in anger. A firm hand grasped the elder's shoulder. He grabbed the hand and threw it off of him. "You filthy liar! Leadin' us out here like a pack of sheep only to let em' get away! Never should've trusted you!" He turned around to glower at the young man with burning sapphire eyes.

"What're you cursing about? I said I'd catch him didn't I? Have a little faith, friends," the blue eyed boy turned around to face the mob. Displeased and furious looks were plastered to their tired faces. 

"Has Roman ever let us down, boys?" A man who seemed to be in his early twenties appeared from the crowd gave a glare back at the fussy elder. Uncomfortable silence followed since no one could speak against the claim.

"Exactly. It's all about timing, boys. We'll let him come to us, Roman's face relaxed into its cold complexion as he sauntered through the crowd, hands clasped behind his back. "Well don't just stand there, you want to go home, yes?" The group frantically caught up with him and he led them away from the daunting woods.

 "Well don't just stand there, you want to go home, yes?" The group frantically caught up with him and he led them away from the daunting woods

Aaron uncovered his face and fell hard to the ground from the a couple of feet in the air. His breathing was faster than it had been when he had been running. He stared down at the pearl mask. It was clear to him now what was truly in his possession.

Aaron made the mistake of trying to regain his footing and fell back down, a sliver of wood now stuck in his hand. He groaned in annoyance and made an effort to pluck it out with his fingers. Glowing caught the corner of his eye. It got brighter and Aaron turned his head to see the mask. Light and elegant blue swirls were softly glowing on the mask, like a lost soul was dancing on the waves. "Cut it out! You've already caused me enough trouble." Aaron forcefully shoved the thick mask back into his knapsack. Standing up, he limped with the occasional groan further into the darkened forest. They would be very pleased that he had it. Maybe then they would let him go. Getting his hopes up was likely a mistake. He would be an errand boy for as long as they needed and then dispose of him. The real question remained, how long did he have after he handed over the mask?