Chapter Thirty- Ethan

You know how adults say that teenagers think they know everything, and that they actually know nothing? Well, that's how it felt like all the "adults" were treating us; stupid, teenage kids who are oblivious to the world around them.

As I watched Kasey get taken away from me by her mom, I was suddenly enraged. I saw her say something to Kasey in the rear-view mirror, I tried to read her lips; something about rules.

I stomped back to my room and texted Kasey.

Are you ok? I texted and then flopped on my bed.

Yeah, I'm fine. Just getting another lecture. 🙄

Ugh, this 'parenting' is getting really old.

Ikr, they always control us. Kasey didn't like parents.

Yeah. Well, we should probably check on Riley to see how she's feeling. I wanted to mend their relationship, knowing Riley wouldn't be the one to apologize.

Ok, I'll see how she's holding up. 👍

I sat there on my bed for a while, just staring into space. I was in deep thought. My life was a mess.

Mom knocked on the door. "Are you okay, hun?"

"Yeah, I'm just thinking."

My parents were very overprotective. I didn't have any social media, it had taken them a while to get me a phone, and never had Kasey come over to spend the night.

I didn't really understand that method of parenting. How would I ever learn anything if I wasn't a dumb kid sometimes? Well, they didn't even give me the chance to be a dumb kid.

"Okay. Well, tell me if you need anything." She backed out and closed the door. I watched her go.

I slumped my face in my hands. This needed to change.

Ding!

My phone buzzed next to me. I picked it up, expecting that it was Kasey and surprised to see that it was Riley.

Happy with Erin! The text read, and a second later a selfie of the two at the movies popped up.

I grunted angrily and left her on read. I didn't care that she was going off to college, she was being such a jerk. Rubbing in our faces that she didn't need us...

There was another text from Kasey. Riley sent me a picture of her and Erin...

Stuck-up jerk.

Tell me about it! Like, she never says sorry and she always has to be right. I know that we all have our faults but

Yeah, imagine being Erin. She's super nice, I bet she doesn't wanna be with Riley rn because of what she did. But of course she doesn't wanna make her mad. I felt bad for Erin, kinda.

Oop

What?

gc...

I looked up to the top of my phone and realized this was the group chat. With Riley. I was surprised she hadn't left yet. I quickly removed her, sighing in relief.

We're fine, Kasey.

No, we aren't.

wdym?

Well... I just.... we can't see each other anymore because of our parents. We already have been going through some tough spots with Riley ditching our sorry asses.

What are you saying

Ig i just wanna... put this on hold for a bit.

wdym. My heart was pounding

Well can we just be friends?