THE SORTING

Once I realize that Max is from Earth, Nilla sees the change in my expression.

 “What is it?” she asks.

 I take a deep breath.

 “You know how I told you that I am from another world?”

 Nilla nods. 

 “I think Max is from my world, too.”

 Nilla freezes.  “Why would you think that, Natalie?”

 “He shrugged.”

 “What is ‘shrugged’?” Nilla quickly queries.

 “You see? It is a gesture in my world!”

 Nilla is so still, I can’t see her breathing.  We sit like this for a while.  I figure Nilla is trying to make sense of it all.  I am just joyful that, if Max is from Earth, then he might know how to get back.  

 We both jump at a familiar creaking sound.  Fresh air overwhelms us, and we stare as the boulder is pulled aside again.  Max and Gevena step in.

 “All testers need to come with us immediately,” Gevena says.

 Nilla and I close our eyes and stand.  Following Gevena and Max, we leave the hut.

 “I will explain to you,” Max starts. “You will be put into the aralm areas soon.  When you are, grab any aralm part that you want.  Once you have it, report back immediately.”

 I see his eyes glance to me.

 “And you,” he says. “I have something to say to you.”

 I hold my breath.

 “Are you from Earth?” Max quietly snarls in my ear. “This is a yes or no question.”

 “Y-yes,” I stammer.

 “Don’t worry.”

 I furrow my eyebrows.  What did he mean, exactly?  I have many thoughts racing through my mind.  But I am out of time to think, because just then Gevena grabs Nilla and my arms and guides us harshly to some sort of forest.  In the middle of the area, Gevena drops us and leaves.

 “Here we go,” I whisper.

 Nilla is snow white.  I stand up, shaking, and look around.  I see twigs, and dirt.  Neither of those is what I want.  I want a simple rock. Peering farther into the forest, though, I see one pebble.  Breaking into a run, I grab it and turn to Nilla.

 “Do you have your…” I start.

 Nilla is gone.  The large branch that had been laying next to her was also gone.  I hurry forwards, straight, trying to find the exit of the forest.  Once I do, Gevena is there with Nilla.  Max walks up. 

 “The pair is done?” he growls.

 Gevena nods once.

 “Good.”

 Gruffly taking our wrists, he shove us forwards, up to an old lady.

 “Oh mighty Gladys of the Choosing,” Max calls to her. “Please accept the pair.”

 I see other kids being rounded up and brought here, behind Gladys.

 “I accept,” Gladys says in a wobbly voice.

 She points to me.  

 “Come forward, young one.”

 I walk forward, twigs crunching beneath my feet.  Handing my rock to her, I bow my head and wait.

 “Hmm…” Gladys strokes my rock. “Gevena! Bring the result!”

 Gevena brings a blood sample.  Holding it up to my face, she says: “This is definitely hers.”

 “Allow me to see it,” Gladys croaks. Gevena hands it up to her. “Yes, this is the girl’s killiest.  I think….you belong with the royals.”

 I feel my jaw drop.  Max, standing next to Gladys, looks absolutely stunned.  Almost everyone gasps.  

 “Next,” Gladys says softly.

 Max comes and pulls me back.  Nilla steps forwards.  As Gladys asks for her blood sample, Max whispers in my ear.

 “Come, I am going to get you home. Where do you live?”

 “Anna Maria Island.”

 Max grips my arm and begins to pull me along, just as Gladys calls out: “We have a traitor! Seize her! She belongs as a welerly!”

 Someone screams, and I realize with horror that it is me.  Shoving Max off of my arm, I race forward.

 “NO!” I screech.

 “Miss Natalie!” Max is calling. “Come along!”

 Nilla is sobbing thoroughly as people come forwards holding a small syringe.

 Without thinking, I grab Nilla and drag her with me to Max.

 “Take us both!” I scream.

 Max starts to shake his head, then decides otherwise.

 “Follow me.”

 I grip Nilla’s wrist tighter and pull her after me, following Max.  I hear people running behind us.  Max brings us into the middle of the forest.

 “Dive into the bushes, and do not release her,” Max tells me quickly. “NOW!”

 Confused, I throw myself into the bushes with Nilla and do not let go.