HOME

I feel sick.  Nilla is passed out beside me.   There are sounds of fighting, but they fade.  Being careful not to let go of Nilla, I poke my head out of the bush.  We are still in the forest, but Max and the others are gone.  Pulling the unconsious Nilla out, I let go curious.  Nothing happens, except that her eyes snap open.

 “What happened?”

 “I don’t know.”

 I start walking forward, and Nilla follows me quickly.  I keep going, all the way to the exit.  I feel wind on my face.  Confused, I stare.  Sand lays everywhere, the hot sun is out, and a huge blue ocean is ahead of me.

 “It is beautiful,” Nilla whispers.

 “Anna Maria!” I cry.

 This is not a dream.  Not too far away, I see a dot that could only be our house.

 “Nilla, my family lives over there!” I exclaim.

 With a weak smile, Nilla follows me, running, to the house.  The lights inside are on, and I rap on the door.  A man opens it.  He looks like he has not shaved for a long time, and he looks very sad.

 “Who are you?” he says in a toneless voice.

 I see something familiar about him…

 Then he sees me.

 “NATALIE!” he cries.

 Hugging me as hard as possible, tears roll down his cheeks.

 He brings me and Nilla inside, not even asking who Nilla was.  Mom is sitting in her wheelchair beside the window.  She turns her head to see who the visitor is.

 “NATALIE!” she says, like Dad did.

 She wheels forward and pulls me into her laps, hugging and kissing me.

 This is how I, Natalie, age of 12, survived the wonderful, amazing world of Allamenea.