1.) The Beginning

A/N: Buckle up, my loves! The journey's just beginning ;)

《■》♡《■》♡《■》♡《■》♡《■》♡

"Y/N, come on! Passengers are already about to board!"

Those shouted phrases are all it takes to have you falling out of your small bed in a heap of pillows and blankets, landing on the hardwood floor with a loud thud. Your roommate, Zeke, grimaces from the doorway of your bedroom as he slips his uniform shirt over his head.

"Why didn't you wake me up sooner?!" You loudly groan, still reeling from the rude awakening and newfound pain in your hip. You rub the remaining sleep from your eyes as you stand up and return your bedding to its normal place.

"Imelda's shift ran over so she was late getting back this morning. She woke me up later than usual, too."

The more that you think about it, the more you realize this relay system of human alarms is dysfunctional. It would surely be more efficient to buy an alarm clock, but most of them cost more than you can spare right now.

With a dismissing wave, you shoo him out of your room. "Alright, go head down. I'll meet you downstairs once I'm ready."

He nods and hurries to the first floor, tucking his shirt in as he goes.

-- 15 Minutes Later -- 

After showering and getting dressed at the speed of light, you join your friends downstairs. You trudge to the kitchen, tapping and pinching your cheeks a few times to wake yourself up a little more.

"Morning, Y/N," Imelda greets from the small, oak table in the corner of the room. Her head rests in her palm, precariously propped up as she attempts to fight off her drowsiness.

"Morning, sunshine," you smirk, watching her eyelids droop more and more. "How was work?"

Your hands busy themselves with preparing a cup of tea, and you steal a piece of toast that someone made recently. Judging by how burnt it is, you can only assume that it was Zeke.

"Busy," she yawns, momentarily covering her mouth before continuing. "We had to ready the docks and do some final safety tests. Took a lot longer than we thought it would."

You hum in acknowledgement and take another bite of toast before walking over to the table. "Did the captain speak with you?" You ask, repeatedly dipping the tea bag into your cup of steaming water to finish steeping it.

"Briefly. Just the usual stuff," she waves a hand, not needing to explain it all to you.

Your jobs are similar; you both work on the docks, but you actually leave the mainland and sail with the ship you've been assigned to. She stays here, but that doesn't mean her job is any easier than yours; in fact, a lot of stress is placed on the shoulders of workers like her. It's their job to correctly prep the ship and check equipment, so it's not hard to see how crucial they are to having a safe voyage. Without people like her, the whole trek would be a disaster from the beginning.

The two of you sit together for a bit longer, both reeling from varying degrees of tiredness. She's practically half conscious now, meanwhile the "breakfast" that you're having is doing fairly well in waking you up for the day ahead.

"Alright, Immy, come on," you say, standing up and shoving the last bite of toast in your mouth; you wash it down with the rest of your warm tea, refreshed by its flavor.

She stands as well and wraps an arm around your neck, gently falling into your side as you walk her towards the couch; she's far too tired to attempt to scale the stairs, and you don't have time to tug her up to her room.