Chapter One-Changes

Chapter One-Changes

I hate flying, the endless lines that are inevitable, the wait, the turbulence and most of all the landing. I try to avoid flying, the idea of only metal being beneath you and who knows how many feet to the ground is more than terrifying.
I dig my fingernails into the padding of the plane seat's arm rest as we get ready to land. The 'fasten your seat belt' sign is bright orange and everyone is returning to their seats, unlike me who refused to move the entire flight. Flying never use to be a problem for me but lately the idea of it literally makes me sick to my stomach.

I glance around the large aircraft to see the air hostess checking that everything is in order and once they have turned up the last food tray and gotten rid of the last plastic cup they finally take their seats fastening their seat belts tightly around their waists. Now is the part I dread most of all, waiting for impact, the way the nose of the plane almost scraps the ground and the loud rough sound that fills your ears when the tires finally make contact with the cement of the tarmac.

Usually I would wait for the busy people to hurryingly grab their luggage from the over head compartment but not today, today I want out so as soon as the seatbelt sign has darkened I am out of my seat and headed towards the exit, my carryon bag tightly in my hand as I finally feel the cold fresh air hit my skin.

My breath is instantly visible as the Washington winter had already taken place, once I am out of the plane my pace slows down, I give the air hostess a polite smile as she waves me goodbye. I see the airport's entry so close and I am reluctant to go back into the stale air of a building but I have to go find him and get back my bags so this month long holiday can begin.

The signs are plastered everywhere and when I see the board that says London flight 487 I smile, this is it back to Washington DC.
I can see the red suitcase that is clearly mine as it entered back into the luggage carousel. I internally groan when I realise I will be waiting just that little bit longer but on the bright side I better find him.

The oceans of people grow larger when the rest of my flight fills the not so large space. I can't see him, most likely he's late but I don't mind, I mean I am happy to see him so it won't matter if he is only a few minutes late.

I finally see my bright coloured luggage and make a dash for it before it can get away once again. I swear getting your luggage after a long flight is the best feeling but he still isn't here and my happy feeling is starting to fade ever so slightly.

"Alex!" I hear his familiar voice and I smile as I turn to face my brother and of course Allison at his side.

I walk towards them my luggage in my hand but before I can reach either of them something or rather someone bumps into me "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry." A women's voice fills my ears and as I turn to her to tell her that it's fine, no harm no foul, I stop.
I freeze; my feet glued to the floor and my heart beating a million miles a minute "Mel?" I utter the words in disbelief and I find one thought swirling around my mind.

"Oh my gosh Alexis!" she beams but before I can react she pulls me into a rib crushing hug "I haven't seen you in nearly three years!" I hug her back even though my thoughts aren't on her.

"It's good to see you." I mutter trying to sound happy and in all truth I am happy to see her, I have missed her but I can't process any of this because my mind is focused on one person and one person alone.

"What are you doing here?" she releases me from the hug and holds me at arm's length.
I think for a moment, unsure about when she last heard from me "I'm just here for a holiday" I mutter up my best attempt at a smile and suddenly I see Tyler and Allison appear at my side.

"Tyler! Allison!" she gushes once more before pulling them into hugs of their own.
Once Mellissa is done squeezing the life out of my brother and his fiancé I hug Tyler myself, I haven't seen him in about three months and considering I lived 2 years without him three months was a long time "Hey sis." He releases me from the hug and I soon hug Allison.