II

My eyes open and my limbs start to feel stiff. I sit up and see Mia on the other side of the room sitting on an identical bed to the one I'm on. I get up and sit next to her. I lean my head on her shoulder but I don't seem to remember her all. All I remember is that we were on a boat and she's important to me. "Mia..?" "Yes, Darling?" "I don't remember what happened before this. Or anything really except you but I know I ate something and it just makes my memory fail. Like how'd we get here." "You don't know how long you were asleep for, do you?" I shake my had as she pulls away. "You were asleep for maybe a week. They gave me food for when you woke up." I look at her and there seems to be tears running down her face. I tug at her arm and hug it. "I didnt want to be separated from you." "It's alright," she says pulling me towards her. She then runs her fingers through my hair. A year has passed since I was brought here but it sucks. I don't eat what they feed me. The short haired girl brings me food for Mia and I to eat. I've been wandering about looking for Mia so she can eat. I find her at the edge of the property where I made a little bit of an isolation area and we don't get in trouble. It's the only really healthy tree across the few acres of land we have here. I've put the extra lantern that Margarite gave me on the crate next to the sitting part to the swing. The crate is covered by an old, raggedy sheet of fabric that I found in our cell. I sit next to Mia and put my legs up to my chest and look to where she's staring. She's looking at the swamp with the crocodiles roaming about. It'd be nicer to look at if there wasn't a barred fence around all of the property. We aren't allowed outside of this fence otherwise they'll hurt us. "Zoe brought us food." She just keeps staring and then says quietly; "I miss Ethan." Ethan? Who's Ethan? It seems vaguely familiar but I can't put my finger on it. "I imagine you'll see him soon," I say handing her a peach. We're soon retrieved by Margarite and luckily we've finished our food by the time she finds us. "What are you girls doing out here? Well at least you're behind the walls. Regardless you girls need to go to to your room, it's getting late." "Yes mama," Mia says while grabbing my arm and starts walking to the greenhouse which is where our room is. It isn't big but I've made it cozy with our bed in the corner of the room with an 80's flower couch on the other side of the room. In front of it was an old, worn down table with scratches covering it. I walk over to the bed and plop down on the side closer to the wall. I feel Mia lay down next to me and she's facing me and she starts to play with my hair as I fall asleep. The last thing I remember before falling asleep is saying thank you and her responding with, "It's not a problem, Darling."

575 words